Time Lapse Prep

Ptychodus04

15 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Now it makes sense! Thanks! And no I do not enjoy setting things up. I wish there was a "package" to purchase where all I had to do is unwrap it, plug it in and start prepping.

There is, it’s called hire someone to do it. :P

12 hours ago, Zenmaster6 said:

If you play the videos backwards it looks like a maniac destroying a fossil with a sandblaster :heartylaugh:

That’s scary 

More great video. Again, I watch you apply Paraloid for stabilization. I can,t tell what you use to apply it, you are working so fast!!!! If it gets onto the matrix, won't it be harder to remove? Again, do to the speed, it is hard to tell how careful you are with the consolidant.       

Mike

Hey Kris, even though ive prepped out 2 fish and working on my 3rd in my lifetime, its still neato to watch someone remove rock off a fish.  Nice vido man. 

RB

2 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

More great video. Again, I watch you apply Paraloid for stabilization. I can,t tell what you use to apply it, you are working so fast!!!! If it gets onto the matrix, won't it be harder to remove? Again, do to the speed, it is hard to tell how careful you are with the consolidant.       

Mike

I use the smallest artists paintbrush possible. It does get in the matrix and it does make it harder to remove but as long as you don’t slop it all over the matrix, it doesn’t adhere too badly.

51 minutes ago, RJB said:

Hey Kris, even though ive prepped out 2 fish and working on my 3rd in my lifetime, its still neato to watch someone remove rock off a fish.  Nice vido man. 

RB

:P Yah, you might be slightly under estimating the amount of prep you’ve done my friend.

• I found this Informative 2

It was so cold in the lab over the last two days that there was no appreciable evaporation of the acetone in my jar of Paraloid consolidation solution when I accidentally left the lid off for 24 hours! :blink:

More work on the big Mioplosus here.

• I found this Informative 3

Love your vids, I just wish they were so much longer!  Are you viewing through a microscope while doing this?  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

On 2019-10-14 at 4:39 PM, RJB said:

That is super cool Kris!  Ive always wanted to do something like that but havent gotten around to it,,,,,,, yet.  :)       I myself have gone down to 25 psi but 8 psi?!!!    Thats one for the books?  Doing a bangup job my freind!!! 

RB

I can get down to 3 PSI on my COMCO and can control the powder to almost nothing...actually I spend a lot of my of the time. at about 18PS . Yes I go higher when roughing out but once the fossil is exposed its generally as low as I can go and still get the matrix off.

• I found this Informative 2

On 2/6/2020 at 6:31 PM, hadrosauridae said:

Love your vids, I just wish they were so much longer!  Are you viewing through a microscope while doing this?  

Yes, I’m using a microscope but the phone recording the video is just sitting on the cabinet glass. IG videos have to be <60 seconds. Even these 30ish second videos are too big to post directly on the forum.

On 2/6/2020 at 7:26 PM, Randyw said:

I agree! I’d love to see some from beginning to end!

That would be quite a video. Many of these preps take 20+ hours. That would equal a 10 minute time lapse. That would be something like 800GB. Plus, I would have to stitch individual prep sessions together and that’s just more work than I’m willing to put into them. :P

To complicate the matter further, I never work on one prep at a time. This helps keep the frustration level down so you don’t start to rush in order to finish.

• 1 month later...

It’s been a while since I worked on a fish that deserved a video. The Mioplosus is just too tedious. So... I set it aside for a bit and pulled out a piece of FRF bottom cap with a couple decent looking Knightias in it. This rock is super hard, so I cranked the pressure up to 80psi and got to work. Thankfully, this fish is very hard as well. The other is still TBD.

Two videos HERE

• I found this Informative 1

80 PSI!  WOW!  I think I'd blow my fish apart at that pressure. Nice vids, your skill makes it look so easy.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

10 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

80 PSI!  WOW!  I think I'd blow my fish apart at that pressure. Nice vids, your skill makes it look so easy.

Normally, I prep the more delicate stuff at 20 PSI. I’ve gone as low as 8 with amazing results. This is using a very small tip.

this bottom cap rock is very hard stuff.

On 3/26/2020 at 3:28 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

More work on the Knightia here

You've inspired me to try time lapse. Would there be an issue if I posted the link to it here to get people's thoughts? 

On 2/8/2020 at 6:35 AM, Ptychodus04 said:

Yes, I’m using a microscope but the phone recording the video is just sitting on the cabinet glass. IG videos have to be <60 seconds. Even these 30ish second videos are too big to post directly on the forum.

That would be quite a video. Many of these preps take 20+ hours. That would equal a 10 minute time lapse. That would be something like 800GB. Plus, I would have to stitch individual prep sessions together and that’s just more work than I’m willing to put into them. :P

To complicate the matter further, I never work on one prep at a time. This helps keep the frustration level down so you don’t start to rush in order to finish.

Totally agree with you about keeping down the frustration when changing between specimens. I do the same thing! 

I'm attempting a mammoth time lapse of an entire specimen and stitching together, will post when complete. The video I have done so far is just of a small portion of ribs (portion of ribs makes it sound like lunch). Just curious to see how it all looks in the end! I only get to see the view through my microscope so will be nice to see how it looks from a different perspective. 

Keep posting! 

Tiffany

Uncovering the late Permian one fossil at a time 

1 hour ago, tvanzyl89 said:

You've inspired me to try time lapse. Would there be an issue if I posted the link to it here to get people's thoughts?

Post away! I can't wait to see your video. I've never bothered to stitch different videos together. I might have to try that... Or, to be more realistic I'll never get around to it. :P

23 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Or, to be more realistic I'll never get around to it. :P

:heartylaugh: 

The video is on my business page (I do preparation full-time with contract work). Was also working with a new airscribe and the company asked me to take a video of it, so we made it into a time lapse. Let me know your thoughts! Instagram made the quality a bit poof...if you can believe it, it was filmed in 4k! 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/B-R28u5plpC/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

• Enjoyed 1

Tiffany

16 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Looks good. What’s your actual prep time on it?

The actual prep time is around 10min 

16 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

What brand of scribe are you using?

This is actually a new brand called the Mozzie and comes from Ingham-Brown Pneumatics, who is my partner (significant other - not business partner). I primarily do micro preparation and needed something that guaranteed a dead still stylus for the small teeth and ribs I do, so we collaborated and created this tool specifically for micro prep. So far it works like a dream! 

We are in lockdown here in South Africa because of Covid-19 so I will definitely have more videos to come! :raindance:

• Enjoyed 1

Tiffany

On 2/6/2020 at 7:10 PM, Malcolmt said:

I can get down to 3 PSI on my COMCO and can control the powder to almost nothing...actually I spend a lot of my of the time. at about 18PS . Yes I go higher when roughing out but once the fossil is exposed its generally as low as I can go and still get the matrix off.

Just for the sake of discussion, I can get my Swam Blsater down to 4 psi to work on really small delicate stuff.  But for the bigger more strudrdy fossils, I often take it up to 80 psi.