Please help me to finish work - keichousaurus preparation

anhlatuan

Hello friends.

i am from Vietnam. People in my country dont know much about fossils, and we have no forums to ask about fossils.

So, can you help me to finish my preparation?

------

I bought from internet

I used sandblaster to expose specimen. Looks more and more beautiful:

IMG_1570951083092_1570951093458.thumb.jpg.e000e6d0e488ae41f0a17d535602b499.jpg

IMG_1570951083019_1570951093246.thumb.jpg.4050e9efdc9a11b8eaa904653fe10551.jpgIMG_1570951083141_1570951093568.thumb.jpg.3aeb7f704eaf132dd797e63b07ef399c.jpgIMG_1570951083118_1570951093519.thumb.jpg.5ae0d4eb78e41f18e54a0f6023750695.jpgMore bones were exposed. These are hands and foots.

But when i use sandblaster, the bones were destroyed, too.

So i stop using sandblaster, and dont know WHAT CAN I DO NEXT?

-----

I see other Keichousaurus on internet. It's perfect:

FB_IMG_1570950627682.thumb.jpg.3c7d66e77d289f4063d765995564e2d2.jpgFB_IMG_1570950623838.jpg.983cc25fba1f7db417cac0eb29fe44ce.jpg

--------

I want to prepare my fossil like that.

I am thinking about using Acid, but i havent used acid before. CAN YOU GUIDE ME WHAT TO DO NEXT?

---------

I plan to use acid to soften the stone and expose the bones. Then continue using sandblasting gun (because now the stone is softer, sandblasting at low intensity will not destroy bones).

Do you think so?

Thank you my friends!

By the looks of things, if you keep on sandblasting, you won't have any bones left, and acid will completely destroy them anyway. I'm afraid you'll never be able to get your Keichosaurus to look like the one from the internet, so my advice is to leave yours as is before you make it any worse. You could try painting it with stone conserver which would make it look more pronounced in relation to the matrix.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

By the looks of things, if you keep on sandblasting, you won't have any bones left, and acid will completely destroy them anyway. I'm afraid you'll never be able to get your Keichosaurus to look like the one from the internet, so my advice is to leave yours as is before you make it any worse. You could try painting it with stone conserver which would make it look more pronounced in relation to the matrix.

Thank you. Please guide me, the Keichousaurus which i saw on internet, how did they do to prepare?

My Keichousaurus will be not beautiful like that, but can i do something to expose the bones more beautiful?

44 minutes ago, anhlatuan said:

Thank you. Please guide me, the Keichousaurus which i saw on internet, how did they do to prepare?

My Keichousaurus will be not beautiful like that, but can i do something to expose the bones more beautiful?

I repeat. In my opinion you can do nothing more to improve the appearance of your fossil other than to paint it. The internet Keichosaurus is better conserved than yours. How it was prepped is not important here.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 hours ago, anhlatuan said:

Please guide me, the Keichousaurus which i saw on internet, how did they do to prepare?

What is the method is used on the best prepped Keichousauruses that look similar to the picture found in the internet? She might not be able to greatly improve the looks of her already prepped fossil but may want to try to prep another one using the best methods.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

2 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

What is the method is used on the best prepped Keichousauruses that look similar to the picture found in the internet? She might not be able to greatly improve the looks of her already prepped fossil but may want to try to prep another one using the best methods.

Acid preparation is most likely, and that should not be done by an amateur.  :( 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

I found this thread from the Forum about prepping Keichousauruses. It does look involved and is not for beginners:

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, DPS Ammonite said:

I found this thread from the Forum about prepping Keichousauruses. It does look involved and is not for beginners:

Thank you ❤ very much

Edited by anhlatuan

It's good that you want the best of your specimen, but not every item has to be perfect:) I'm sure there are much better preserved and prepared specimens that the one "from the Internet" and they probably cost accordingly. There are also probably keichousauruses with preserved embryos, antemortem injuries, skeletal pathologies, fish in the belly, etc. Your keichousaurus doesnt have to be "number one keichousaurus in the world" (otherwise it belongs to a museum), it's already very good and does not require more preparation. The only suggestion is to work with the plate around the fossil to hide cracks and make it look the same color.

I agree with others that no further preparation should be done except to repair the cracks.  It already looks nice for a specimen like this (in fact, I would prefer the unprepped one as it is showing enough details and looks more natural, while the sand blasting revealed some more details, it has destroyed some bones at the same time).  In the source place in Yunnan and Guizhou, fossil collectors use acid washing+mechanical prepping (for hard slabs), manual prepping (for soft to half hard slabs) or less commonly sand blasting (for soft slabs) to prep the Keichousaurus.  If you really want to self prep a Keichousaurus, you may buy some unprepped one with inferior quality for practice first, manual prepping would be suitable for self prepping in my view.