Limpet looking fossil

TeamKC

Hello everyone, requesting help with a fossil ID. New member and very new to fossils, daughter has shown lots of interest in fossils and wants to be a paleontologist for about a year. I try and continue to encourage it and we go to different creek beds here in Kentucky along the Tennessee boarder. We typically find lots of brachiopods but nothing like these.  I think it looks like limpets, but I can’t find anything similar to it online.  The University of Kentucky website had some similar sketches of horn coral, but I am not sure. Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Info:

small, about the size of a quarter

found on the banks a larger sized stream in southern Kentucky

usually find lots of brachiopods in the area 

429CDEF7-8CAC-42F9-8F15-309600BAA169.jpeg

It is a colonial rugose coral. Nice find, and we'd love to see some of the brachiopods if you need help with ID.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Hello and welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  We're glad to have you aboard and would indeed love to see some of the brachs you've collected.  BTW, that's a nice coral you have there.

Welcome to the Forum. :) 

I agree with colonial rugose coral. 

Compare to something like Hexagonaria

Regards,. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me