Can anyone identify this object?

Latte42

This is the size of a 50 cent piece for those familiar with that coin. It measures about 2 inches in diameter - it's a bit oblong however. I can supply more photos if needed. Someone might identify this immediately with just the 2 photos.  

This was found recently along the Atlantic Coast shoreline along an outgoing tide after a storm. It's the shape of a top of a mushroom, even with the bottom having an a small indent in center. It's texture feels like pumice, and is light in weight like pumice.  

As you can see the tissue (or sheet) layers upon layers of holes that create this round small structure.

Thank you.

Found on beach 10 13 19.jpg

Screen Shot 2019-10-13 at 10.52.46 PM.png

I think i can live with Ludwigia's assessment here:sure looks like fragments of a foliose/frondose bryozoan

Given all that sediment trapping and binding capability,and yet a low specific gravity:my vote goes to it being a bryolith,with at the centre a volcanic

(probably andesitic)clast.

So: the bryozoan equivalent of a rhodolith 

e.g.:https://pubs.geoscienceworld.org/books/book/462/chapter/3799619/Bryozoan-nodules-built-around-andesite-clasts-from

the morphology is not entirely inconsistent with E.G. Acanthodesia, but ...

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you for your replies so far. With the information you've all given, I started researching again online for species and classification.

Though the formation is smooth and almost a perfect circle from the ocean's abrasion I suspect? 

I found this post from 2017: 

Screen Shot 2019-10-14 at 5.09.26 AM.png

• I found this Informative 3

Indeed, it is beautiful. Worthy of any collection. I was not familiar with those. I love learning new stuff.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thank you so much everyone for your very correct responses! 

I followed up further with researching species of Bryozoan. I'm now awaiting a response from a Marine Biology professor in Fla. that specializes in Bryozoans/Bryoliths.

I will share here when I receive the information.

Thank you all again. Such an extraordinary specimen and life form indeed!

Best,

Kim 

• I found this Informative 1