Show Us Your Cut And Polished Nautiloids And Ammonites

barefootgirl

One of the many things I do to earn a living is to evaluate stuff. Often that stuff is a bunch of rocks. Many times the bunch of rocks has fossils in it. I will do show and tell as we go along to illustrate this, but I am really busy ATM, so it will take a little while to get that together....at any rate: I get a box of rocks, some of them are fossils. Some of the fossils are great specimens, some should have been left en situ. I get paid to give my opinion to the owner as to what is the very best thing to do with each of them. Monetary valuation/appreciation is a primary concern for many/most of my clients. ;)

Sometimes a fossil is more a fossil segment or fragment. Sometimes it is a calcite replacement, sometimes it is agate or opal. Sometimes it is important, sometimes it should be used for a door stop. If it is really neat, I give a quote to do something fun with it. :D I am buried in that last bit right now, I am taking pictures and will share after they have been returned to the owner, finished.

I would wax on, but must make din-dins now.

One of the many things I do to earn a living is to evaluate stuff. Often that stuff is a bunch of rocks. Many times the bunch of rocks has fossils in it. I will do show and tell as we go along to illustrate this, but I am really busy ATM, so it will take a little while to get that together....at any rate: I get a box of rocks, some of them are fossils. Some of the fossils are great specimens, some should have been left en situ. I get paid to give my opinion to the owner as to what is the very best thing to do with each of them. Monetary valuation/appreciation is a primary concern for many/most of my clients. ;)

Sometimes a fossil is more a fossil segment or fragment. Sometimes it is a calcite replacement, sometimes it is agate or opal. Sometimes it is important, sometimes it should be used for a door stop. If it is really neat, I give a quote to do something fun with it. :D I am buried in that last bit right now, I am taking pictures and will share after they have been returned to the owner, finished.

I would wax on, but must make din-dins now.

Are you offering your services or just trying to confuse me?^_^

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Heres my contribution.

This was stolen from me a couple years ago but its still one of my favorites.

Two inch Aturia Angustata.

aturia-1.jpg

Ohhh it looks like its made of chocolate and caramel!!:blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::blush::bow::bow:

Im sorry some bum fungus stole it from you. :(

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Here are two that I have. I am not sure of the taxonomy for either one so if someone could ID them that would be great. I have no clue of the location.

post-671-12574828123395_thumb.jpg

post-671-12574828597721_thumb.jpg

This one (in sunlight) will have reddish-orange, green, and purple hues to it :)

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Are you offering your services or just trying to confuse me?

I pick "D", all of the above! :D

Naw, just saying that some fossils make great specimens and others make great earrings or door stops. I have a bunch of nice polished cephalopods, just haven't taken the time to photograph them yet. Later, gives me something to look forward to . :)

I found this particular specimen many years ago. When I found it, I thought I would cut it in half and do the polish thing. The exterior was in bad shape so I figured I wouldnt be destroying it by doing the cutting and polishing, but once I got home and cleaned it up a bit, (it had lots of mud on it)I could see this little crack in it, I lifted up that piece of rock and saw this beautiful pearl eccent shell and fell in love. I still have this one somewhere?

RB

post-171-12575161759858_thumb.jpg

post-171-12575162536742_thumb.jpg

Oh thats sweet RJB!

Alfred North Whithead

Im really becoming a fan of the polished ones.

:D

Alfred North Whithead

Here are two that I have. I am not sure of the taxonomy for either one so if someone could ID them that would be great. I have no clue of the location.

post-671-12574828123395_thumb.jpg

post-671-12574828597721_thumb.jpg

This one (in sunlight) will have reddish-orange, green, and purple hues to it :)

I guess the first one (darkbrown and yellow ) is a Placenticeras from USA , the other one is certainly a Cleoniceras from Albian stage found in Madagascar .

• 7 months later...

My sliced into two Hercoglossa ulrichi :)

post-2472-011544800 1277737907_thumb.jpg

Looking for Oregon transparent Aturia angustata now. PM me if you got any for sale.

I'm looking for other COILED nautiloids too! Anyone have any nautiloid before jurassic period?

Personally, I am not going to apologise for my tastes. I find the polished specimens to be too gaudy and on the same level as a faceted stone vs a rough.

I love the big rough one in the first post. The rest I'd sell to tourists.

Be true to the reality you create.

Personally, I am not going to apologise for my tastes. I find the polished specimens to be too gaudy and on the same level as a faceted stone vs a rough.

Hi Frank,in this case you should like my "field smelling"Nautilus,i just use water and a brush to clean them a little,My linkbut sometimes,i really like what become the polished exemple,I'm too afraid to try that with some of mine(and i'm not enough skilled with manual activities) :)

Ider thrown most of them fish back youve bought Frank.... so no worries....

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Ider thrown most of them fish back youve bought Frank.... so no worries....

Hey...I'll take those fish you chucked and throw you some of those polished Ammonites! :P

Nala...I love that "Field smelling" sounds very rockhoundish. I'll take a peek!

Nala, Checked it out. Now you're talking Fossils! :D

Well, I hope nobody starts getting cantankerous with me now, but I do like cut and polished things. It's a matter of taste in the end isn't it?

I like doing it myself. As you can see, my Avatar is a cut and polished Nautilus, Cenoceras sp.

Started out years ago with agates, and when I started collecting fossils I'd sometimes find some things that weren't worth a preparation on the outside, but showed possibilities on the inside. So I thought, why not? That's still my basic principal. Most things than can be prepared get the proper treatment. Otherwise I slice them through if I think there's a chance of getting something out of it. Occasionally I'll also cut through a good one if I've already got a ton of that species. Here are a few examples.

Best wishes, Roger

post-2384-073860000 1277747506_thumb.jpg

Staufenia sp. Wutach. It wasn't worth preparing, but it makes for a nice "Art nouveau" object.

post-2384-012108700 1277747707_thumb.jpg

Graphoceras concavum. Geisingen.

post-2384-019983700 1277747817_thumb.jpg

Parkinsonia parkinsoni. Sengenthal, Bavaria.

I made a clock out of this last one. It was just half an Ammo, which you normally leave lying there, but I got an idea....stuck the 2 halves together after I'd cut and polished it and now I can tell geological time.

post-2384-079869400 1277748042_thumb.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Roger, those are just too neat for words! And the clock.... :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There are some really beautiful fossils on this thread and I love the clock too! very

creative..

Welcome to the forum!