Wyoming baculite

TimS

This baculite piece appears to have undergone replacement by chalcedony. The walls of the empty chambers are very thin and delicate. There is a bit of original nacre intact. Thunder Basin area of NE Wyoming.

chalcedonychamber1.jpg

chalcedonychamber2.jpg

• I found this Informative 12

That is a very cool piece. Did you find more in the same area? I'd be curious to see if that is a common mode of preservation in that area.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

That is extremely cool! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Shamalama said:

That is a very cool piece. Did you find more in the same area? I'd be curious to see if that is a common mode of preservation in that area.

What a wonderful display piece this is, with an interesting (and beautiful!) preservation.  I see that Tim posted some similar specimens in an older post here on the forum. Collecting looks good out there!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

4 hours ago, Shamalama said:

As Pagurus mentioned, I have found some other pieces with chalcedony replacement, but so far this is the only piece i've seen where the chambers remained empty. The other agatized ones are solid throughout.

The most common baculites in the area are just a soft muddy gray material with little detail, with the occasional cream or brown replacements with what i think are calcite and barite. The blue-gray chalcedony pieces are few and far between. There are massive shale flats in the area where you can spend all day and not see hard stone like chert / quartz etc., so it's a mystery how some pieces agatize. I also found a partially agatized limb cast near this piece which is very odd.

Here are a few more from the same spot --- one filling with barite crystals, one that is partially agatized, and one that decided to grow a crystal garden on the end.

barite1.jpg

barite2.jpg

chalcrep1.jpg

chalcrep2.jpg

starcropped2.jpg

starcropped.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

The last one is beyond spectacular. Congratulations. An amazing combination of fossil and mineral. Just WOW!

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Most of my favorite fossils are a combo of fossil and crystallization. Those are making me drool!!!!!

Mike

• I found this Informative 1

Amazing! Chalcedony with probably two forms of calcite. Can you show us a picture of the piece under long and short UV light?

9F980C50-DC15-4352-B554-13607C4A719E.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

12 hours ago, ricardo said:

Some white chabazite penetration twins?

I'm in with chabazite and stilbite on calcedony... @TimS  Hope you have the oposite part of this piece, too?

16 hours ago, TimS said:

starcropped.jpg

Gorgeous !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

18 hours ago, TimS said:

starcropped2.jpg

starcropped.jpg

Oh my, that is stunning. Definitely orange Calcite on pale tan Chalcedony, but I'm hesitant on the Chabazite ID for the white crystals. I am thinking Dolomite instead. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I think dolomite too.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Because of the slightly curved shape of the white crystals, or at least what I think I see.

Coco

----------------------

Un Greg...

I'm not certain what the crystals are on the last piece, keep getting different opinions from the visual ID. Dolomite and chabazite hadn't been suggested. I've never heard of chabazite before but I'm not ruling anything out and thanks for the ID help. I'm hoping to take it to the SD School of Mines where they host a public rock ID day in January for a first-hand opinion to add to the list.

Here's a pic using my only UV, a $5 flashlight. To my eye the orange crystal fluoresces bright orange, and the white crystals don't fluoresce. My phone sees it differently. I'm going to a rock show in a couple weeks and am sure someone there will have a good UV I can check it with.

CAM00416.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Would be nice if you share the information you get there!

Btw., if you put an uv-band-pass-filter directly before the uv-light/LED (which cover often a broad bandwidth of wavelength, including visible blue and violet light), you taking out the visible light and get the real fluorescense colours of the minerals, even when fluorescense is not so strong...

edit: should be looking a little bit more like this (slight fluorescence in the orange mineral and a little stronger in the white cubes):

CAM00416.thumb.jpg.af7d249629952c0592e1a55d9def4fd6.jpg

20 hours ago, Coco said:

Because of the slightly curved shape of the white crystals, or at least what I think I see.

Coco

My thoughts exactly, as well as the general diagenic nature of shales vs. volcanics in the formation of Zeolite minerals.

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

The minerals might be laumontite,heulandite or clinoptilolite.

heulycl5ostigma5e6lrtdrtaczwewetybrachu00 (2).jpg

Edit hours later:the white crystals MIGHT be sucrosic dolomite 

• I found this Informative 2