Hunting in Georgia, US?

DeepTimeIsotopes

Hello everybody, how’s everybody doing? I am planning on flying out to the lovely state of Georgia in December and I would like to know what my options are regarding fossil hunting/ mineral collecting. I plan on flying into Atlanta, then driving to Macon. A day or two will be spent fishing on the Coast most likely around Savannah so I’ll try shark tooth hunting for sure. Nothing has been permanently decided as of yet except fishing. Now I know there is shark teeth on the Coast as I already mentioned but I know there’s maybe trilobites somewhere and that there’s certain places with garnet sand. I also know that the water level in the rivers out there get higher in the winter if I remember correctly. Will that stop me from being able to hunt for teeth and/or trilobites? It would be most appreciated if anybody could PM me with some rough locations or formations for me to research. Also any tips on beach collecting would be great as I haven’t tried it yet. Thanks!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

8 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Will that stop me from being able to hunt for teeth

Hi @UtahFossilHunter speaking to shark teeth hunting. The Savannah River down on this end, on the business end in Savannah is more driven by the ocean tides and the phases of the moon than by water levels (unless mother nature unleashes another biblical flood or weather system)  Checking the tide charts and showing up a good two hours at least before low tide sets is your best bet.

I've found that the folks over at Bull River Marina are the cheapest and best bet for dropping off and picking up.  I've used them at least 3-4 times (when I didn't feel like paddling that day) and they will work with your schedule. You can split the boat cost (4 riders per boat) too, which is a good way to save some cash. 

Good luck and have fun !

• I found this Informative 1

I agree that a pay trip on the coast will be your best bet.  Years ago there were some old kaolin pits in the Macon area that were good for Eocene sharks/rays/rare other vertebrates, but they have been reclaimed and/or closed access.  The site where people have been collecting trilobites is now posted, and at any rate it was 2-3 hours drive in the wrong direction.

Don

• I found this Informative 1