Sylvana Jadir

Hi folks,

I found this on Killiney Beach in Dublin, Ireland. I usually find fossiliferous limestone there full of crinoids and corals and other fragments. This caught my eye but I have no idea what it is. Any thoughts anyone?

Sorry for the use of a 1 pence coin as a scale here, I just saw that using coins is not ideal but I am back in Ireland and the piece is at my home in London where I took the photos. 

Sylvana

392B8472-CD6A-40BE-9DB9-A4985BC8A4DC.jpeg

AA032E9A-005F-4786-88F4-3B163D8E1221.jpeg

I think that this is a water worn stone that has a suggestive shape of a vertabrae.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Five for three too worn stone. But an interesting one at any rate.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thank you all for your replies. My initial thought was that it looked a little like a vertebra but it lacks the concave centre and is more oblong than vertebrae typically are.  I knew in my heart it wasn’t a vertebra but not gonna lie I was hoping it was something exciting! 

21 hours ago, Sylvana Jadir said:

Thank you all for your replies. My initial thought was that it looked a little like a vertebra but it lacks the concave centre and is more oblong than vertebrae typically are.  I knew in my heart it wasn’t a vertebra but not gonna lie I was hoping it was something exciting! 

Just a heads up so you don't dismiss a vertebra accidentally, and I apologize if you already knew. Not all vertebrae are concave. So don't pass over something if it's flat or convex. Also be aware that sometimes the discs between them (intervertebral discs) are preserved.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 16/10/2019 at 8:48 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Just a heads up so you don't dismiss a vertebra accidentally, and I apologize if you already knew. Not all vertebrae are concave. So don't pass over something if it's flat or convex. Also be aware that sometimes the discs between them (intervertebral discs) are preserved.

Thank you Mark I appreciate that bit of advice!