Old Church Formation (Oligocene) reference publications

sharkdoctor

TFF'ers, I need a bit of help identifying some material from the Old Church Formation from Virginia. I have the famous Muller (1999) reference and the more recent Ciccimuri & Knight paper (2009) regarding sharks and rays from the Chandler Bride formation. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other papers or references that cover sharks/rays/fishes from the the Old Church or its equivalent formations on the mid-Atlantic coast (Belgrade or Chandler Bridge formations)? 

-Aaron

@MarcoSr @Metopocetus

• I found this Informative 1

The Old Church formation is rather under-researched. If anyone knows of some papers on the chandler bridge fish fauna, it’s @Boesse. You might also ask Dr. Weems, if memory serves he published something which included old church FM turtles a few years back. If he isnt familiar with the shark fauna himself, he can probably at least direct you towards someone who has.

Vicksburg Group is also roughly contemporary.

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

13 hours ago, Al Dente said:

The Elasmo website has teeth of the Belgrade Formation. It is listed under the Faunas tab.

Thanks, @Al Dente. In looking through the page, it is a valuable resource, but is notably limited to the larger sharks. Just in case anybody else has this need in the future, I am specifying the sources I have to date and will add any others I come across or that are suggested here.

1. Müller, A. (1999). Ichthyofaunen aus dem atlantischen Tertiär der USA. Institut für Geophysik und Geologie.

2. Cicimurri, D. J., & Knight, J. L. (2009). Late Oligocene sharks and rays from the Chandler Bridge Formation, Dorchester County, South Carolina, USA. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, 54(4), 627-648.

3. Chandler Bridge faunal page of www.elasmo.com

13 hours ago, WhodamanHD said:

The Old Church formation is rather under-researched. If anyone knows of some papers on the chandler bridge fish fauna, it’s @Boesse. You might also ask Dr. Weems, if memory serves he published something which included old church FM turtles a few years back. If he isnt familiar with the shark fauna himself, he can probably at least direct you towards someone who has.

Vicksburg Group is also roughly contemporary.

Thanks, @WhodamanHD. I've worked with Rob on Old Church material in the past. Didn't think of him, but will send him a note today. 

Aaron

The only other reference that I'm aware of with a number of Belgrade Formation and a couple of Chandler Bridge Formation species is  Fossil Fish - Volume III of IV (2015) Richard Chandler & Pat Young  which can be purchased at the below link.  The CD for $17 is definitely worth the money.

https://ncfossilclub.org/publications/

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Have you found any Galeocerdo mayumbensis from the Old Church Formation? I would be interested in seeing them if you have.

Thanks, Marco! I'll add to the list and pick it up pronto!

References for Oligocene sharks and rays of the Mid-Atlantic Coastal Plain:

1. Müller, A. (1999). Ichthyofaunen aus dem atlantischen Tertiär der USA. Institut für Geophysik und Geologie.

2. Cicimurri, D. J., & Knight, J. L. (2009). Late Oligocene sharks and rays from the Chandler Bridge Formation, Dorchester County, South Carolina, USA. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, 54(4), 627-648.

4.  Fossil Fish - Volume III of IV (2015) Richard Chandler & Pat Young

On 10/15/2019 at 1:41 PM, sharkdoctor said:

TFF'ers, I need a bit of help identifying some material from the Old Church Formation from Virginia. I have the famous Muller (1999) reference and the more recent Ciccimuri & Knight paper (2009) regarding sharks and rays from the Chandler Bride formation. I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other papers or references that cover sharks/rays/fishes from the the Old Church or its equivalent formations on the mid-Atlantic coast (Belgrade or Chandler Bridge formations)? 

-Aaron

@MarcoSr @Metopocetus

Aaron,

This publication covers a fauna from the Early Oligocene of Germany but I've found it very helpful with Oligocene-Early Miocene teeth from anywhere.

Jess

Reinecke T., H. Stapf. & M. Raisch,  2001.

Die Selachier und Chimären des unteren Meeressandes und Schleichsandes im Mainzer Becken (Alzey- und Stadecken Formation, Rupelium, Unteres Oligozän).  Palaeontos 1.  1-73.  Palaeo Publishing and Library vzw.  Antwerp.

Translation: Sharks and Chimaeras from the Lower Meeressandes and Schleichsandes in the Mainz Basin (Alzey and Stadecken Formation, Rupelian, lower Oligocene).

• 1 month later...

Thanks @siteseer!! For some reason I am just now seeing this post!

Adding yours to the list...

5. Reinecke T., H. Stapf. & M. Raisch,  2001. Die Selachier und Chimären des unteren Meeressandes und Schleichsandes im Mainzer Becken (Alzey- und Stadecken Formation, Rupelium, Unteres Oligozän).  Palaeontos 1.  1-73.  Palaeo Publishing and Library vzw.  Antwerp.

• 1 month later...

Hey all - to my knowledge there are no existing publications on Old Church Formation vertebrates, though I have been invited to work with Dr. Weems on a paper on the cetaceans (the late Al Sanders is also a coauthor).

Also to my knowledge I don't think there is a Chandler Bridge page on elasmo.com. Cicimurri and Knight is an excellent starting point, and there are many papers on Oligocene ichthyofaunas from Germany that may be useful.

I am, however, extremely skeptical of papers on supposed Oligocene specimens from South Carolina published by European researchers who purchased the specimens, since most of those teeth for sale are collected from streams and are not in situ - which is why I've busted my A by collecting in situ specimens from the Ashley and Chandler Bridge over the past couple of years. Any papers published on creek material very likely could include Miocene or Pliocene specimens since all are reworked/ex situ.

• I found this Informative 4

On 12/10/2019 at 11:36 AM, sharkdoctor said:

Thanks @siteseer!! For some reason I am just now seeing this post!

Adding yours to the list...

5. Reinecke T., H. Stapf. & M. Raisch,  2001. Die Selachier und Chimären des unteren Meeressandes und Schleichsandes im Mainzer Becken (Alzey- und Stadecken Formation, Rupelium, Unteres Oligozän).  Palaeontos 1.  1-73.  Palaeo Publishing and Library vzw.  Antwerp.

There is also some discussion of and reference to specimens from the Old Church in Bretton Kent's "Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region."  I thought there might some discussion in Maurice Leriche's 1942 French language review of chondrichthyan remains from the Altlantic Coastal Plain and central United States but I didn't see any when I went through it.

12 hours ago, siteseer said:

There is also some discussion of and reference to specimens from the Old Church in Bretton Kent's "Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region."  I thought there might some discussion in Maurice Leriche's 1942 French language review of chondrichthyan remains from the Altlantic Coastal Plain and central United States but I didn't see any when I went through it.

Thanks, @siteseer! Updated list is below:

1. Müller, A. (1999). Ichthyofaunen aus dem atlantischen Tertiär der USA. Institut für Geophysik und Geologie.
2. Cicimurri, D. J., & Knight, J. L. (2009). Late Oligocene sharks and rays from the Chandler Bridge Formation, Dorchester County, South Carolina, USA. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, 54(4), 627-648.
4.  Fossil Fish - Volume III of IV (2015) Richard Chandler & Pat Young
5. Reinecke T., H. Stapf. & M. Raisch,  2001. Die Selachier und Chimären des unteren Meeressandes und Schleichsandes im Mainzer Becken (Alzey- und Stadecken Formation, Rupelium, Unteres Oligozän).  Palaeontos 1.  1-73.  Palaeo Publishing and Library vzw.  Antwerp.
6. Kent, B. W. (1994). Fossil sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region. Columbia, Md: Egan Rees & Boyer, Inc.

7 hours ago, sharkdoctor said:

I think you mean Belgrade faunal page of www.elasmo.com.

5 hours ago, Al Dente said:

I think you mean Belgrade faunal page of www.elasmo.com.

Yep. Thanks for the catch.

Updated list is below:

1. Müller, A. (1999). Ichthyofaunen aus dem atlantischen Tertiär der USA. Institut für Geophysik und Geologie.
2. Cicimurri, D. J., & Knight, J. L. (2009). Late Oligocene sharks and rays from the Chandler Bridge Formation, Dorchester County, South Carolina, USA. Acta Palaeontologica Polonica, 54(4), 627-648.
3. Belgrade Formation faunal page of www.elasmo.com
4.  Fossil Fish - Volume III of IV (2015) Richard Chandler & Pat Young
5. Reinecke T., H. Stapf. & M. Raisch,  2001. Die Selachier und Chimären des unteren Meeressandes und Schleichsandes im Mainzer Becken (Alzey- und Stadecken Formation, Rupelium, Unteres Oligozän).  Palaeontos 1.  1-73.  Palaeo Publishing and Library vzw.  Antwerp.
6. Kent, B. W. (1994). Fossil sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region. Columbia, Md: Egan Rees & Boyer, Inc.