Finds from recent trip to Ontario and NY

Shamalama

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted a trip report but I was feeling like posting last evening as well as testing out my new photography rig.  I moved houses two years ago and lost my lovely brick wall backdrop (the exterior of back of the house) which allowed photography in natural light. The new house is all vinyl siding outside and I have more shade so less opportunity for good sunlit pictures. However, one corner inside the house has a bricked area where a wood burning stove used to be so I have decided to set up some lights there.

Setup.thumb.jpg.ed177d3ca4b0149a1e1c3a3e9ed6cb9d.jpg

The pics came out ok so let's proceed with the report.

I recently went up to the St. Mary's quarry in Bowmanville, Ontario on a scheduled trip with the local Scarborough club and also stopped off at Arkona while in Canada. I did pretty well at Arkona where I found four Eldredgeops trilobites and two Blastoids among other finds.

Nucelocrinus elegans from the Hungry Hollow member of the Widder formation.

Blast1.thumb.jpg.6855bf8e226d8a8ce8cb1c2844ff9782.jpg

5da70fa56c398_blast2.thumb.jpg.5d22560e17cbd4f1a1d4a9182616bec5.jpg

Sorry, no pics of the Trilobites due to some back spasms but I got these pics of a nice Atactotoechus fruiticosus branch also from the Hungry Hollow Member of the Widder formation.

Bryo1.thumb.jpg.a476d036b41710b884f4ee68f319ee84.jpg

5da71096c81b8_Bryo2.thumb.jpg.4ca03d66c6b8ca5b5c2699723d460a0b.jpg

Then I went to the St. Mary's quarry on Sunday where I took a tumble down the rock pile and hurt my ribs. Lucky for me my hard hat took the brunt of the impact my head made with the rocks. With nothing broken and still able to move around, I stayed closer to the ground and found this partial, eroded Isoltelus sp. that is inverted and still shows the Hypostome in place. 

Iso1.thumb.jpg.51a048385632470f118e7cf1c67d2250.jpg

5da711479f8a0_Iso2.thumb.jpg.54b0fefa6b70c934bd97fcec27d3fac6.jpg

I also found a plate with Graptolites but that was too heavy to hold and photograph last night. I'll post it tomorrow maybe.

Finally, I drove home on Monday and stopped off at a place in New York where some of the Kashong Shale member of the Moscow formation is exposed and found these two surprises.

A cephalon of a Dipleura dekayi with some of the shell material eroded away. 

5da711d51d95c_Dipleura1a.thumb.jpg.5d28a243826976fc4a5cf6a90d32ccfc.jpg

5da711c9b124d_Dipleura1.thumb.jpg.fea599c0927cbfb0bcb0f655cc2a0683.jpg

I think the eye is intact and waiting to see again once some rock is removed.

5da711cce1347_Dipleura3.thumb.jpg.ad6c1082c1ed2b91961352543f429569.jpg

And here is a closeup of the shell on top where you can see the stippled pattern where sensory pits used to be.

5da711cfc2212_Dipleura2.thumb.jpg.b928aa507d1b7901c13f42651a2fac79.jpg

Lastly I found a pygidium that I am not sure of the genera on. Possibly a Basidechenella sp.?pygidium.thumb.jpg.77d78fcd612450aab2caad5359340c85.jpg

So not a bad trip at all, despite the injury. Good news is that I am healing nicely but still have some soreness and muscle spasms.  I'm looking forward to my next trip up in the spring and hopefully will avoid the health scares.

• I found this Informative 11

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Dave, 

Glad you got out, but, sorry to hear about the injuries.  :( 

Some really nice finds there. 
I think Basidechenella is now Pseudodechenella

Thanks for the report! 

Hope you heal up quickly!

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice finds! 

Love the blastoid in particular and hope you can manage to get the graptolites posted some time when it's possible. 

I'm rather partial to graptolites. 

Get well soon. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

This Kashong species is: Monodechenella macrocephala

image.png.ad1ffdeefa19a93e3832e9f8dfc833d7.png image.thumb.png.1841a307fd93f8c8035d90762c066056.png

Lieberman, B.S. 1994

Evolution of the trilobite subfamily Proetinae Salter, 1864, and the origin, diversification, evolutionary affinity, and extinction of the

Middle Devonian proetid fauna of eastern North America. American Museum of Natural History Bulletin, 223:1-176  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 7

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Love the blastoid! :wub: Sounds like you did well at Arkona.  I'm sorry to hear that you got so banged up at Bowmanville.  A tumble down one of those talus piles is no joke!

Don

Are you sure that first piece is a blastoid and not a hickory nut?????? (inside joke)

You really need to get that graptolite piece photographed, I'm still a bit jealous.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Congratulations Dave on some truly excellent finds on a very productive trip. Your new photography studio is already turning out some exceptional work, thanks in part to the photographer. Great finds should make the healing go faster. 

22 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Dave, 

Glad you got out, but, sorry to hear about the injuries.  :( 

Some really nice finds there. 
I think Basidechenella is now Pseudodechenella

Thanks for the report! 

Hope you heal up quickly!

Thanks Tim! Injuries are all part of the game of life. I'll heal and be back out soon. :)

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

20 hours ago, connorp said:

Very nice finds. Here’s to a quick recovery.

Thank you!

-Dave

19 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice finds! 

Love the blastoid in particular and hope you can manage to get the graptolites posted some time when it's possible. 

I'm rather partial to graptolites. 

Get well soon. :)

16 hours ago, Northern Sharks said:

Are you sure that first piece is a blastoid and not a hickory nut?????? (inside joke)

You really need to get that graptolite piece photographed, I'm still a bit jealous.

Ok, since you guys asked so nicely.... But it's not as nice as those worms you found, @Northern Sharks ;)

IMG_7176.thumb.JPG.62c499716449d723d4b6f4c012264880.JPGIMG_7181.thumb.JPG.557c26c7571713bb999f7c321f95ddb8.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

19 hours ago, piranha said:

This Kashong species is: Monodechenella macrocephala

image.png.ad1ffdeefa19a93e3832e9f8dfc833d7.png image.thumb.png.1841a307fd93f8c8035d90762c066056.png

Lieberman, B.S. 1994

Evolution of the trilobite subfamily Proetinae Salter, 1864, and the origin, diversification, evolutionary affinity, and extinction of the

Middle Devonian proetid fauna of eastern North America. American Museum of Natural History Bulletin, 223:1-176  PDF LINK

Thanks Scott! New species for my collection, woo hoo!

-Dave

19 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Love the blastoid! :wub: Sounds like you did well at Arkona.  I'm sorry to hear that you got so banged up at Bowmanville.  A tumble down one of those talus piles is no joke!

Don

Having proper PPE and some luck certainly helped.  Here is a pic of the Blastoid in situ

20191005_112435.jpg

-Dave

14 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Congratulations Dave on some truly excellent finds on a very productive trip. Your new photography studio is already turning out some exceptional work, thanks in part to the photographer. Great finds should make the healing go faster. 

Thanks Jeff.  Here is a partial, crushed cephalon of a possible Eldregeops iowensis that I found at Arkona. No whole specimens of that rare species for me this time!

IMG_7227.JPG

IMG_7225.JPG

-Dave

For anyone interested, I suggest zooming in on the complete graptolite slab. Most of the original colony was scraped away and you can see the 5 or 6 remaining sections. If this had been complete.........

• I found this Informative 1

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

41 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

Ok, since you guys asked so nicely.... But it's not as nice as those worms you found, @Northern Sharks ;)

Very nice indeed.

Thanks. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Dave- great report and finds. I feel your pain with the fall, it happens to me every once in a while in Indiana, I try to get to levels “Where eagles dare”, and sometimes my feet don’t hold.

Also love the camera setup.

Wonderful finds, especially the blastoid and the Isotelus with "tummy" exposed - congratulations!!!