DINOMAN91

I have recently found some very well preserved fossils that I collected in KY. I was really hoping to get some ids on these finds. I dug the plant fossil out of the side of a mountain where there was a falling fossilized tree these were on the bottom layer between the tree and the shale then the coal bed the egg shaped photos were found in the same area

03BEEBB5-8657-44AD-BBB5-120948AC559B.jpeg

CCB0A392-74A2-4B75-9F20-4BB87563857A.jpeg

CD4B943D-954B-4A04-9092-DC4B279B3EB9.jpeg

ADF86E12-D0B0-41A5-A42D-22877EFC972E.jpeg

F9F487ED-5BA4-4564-BB3F-90B74990BACD.jpeg

7A44F6D0-C90D-4963-8F5A-63BF06B094D4.jpeg

42636E79-13C2-4943-AA17-3E5D0132AF78.jpeg

6D048266-7846-4A46-91EF-5BAE1C85823E.jpeg

Edited by DINOMAN91
Wanted to add more information
  • I found this Informative 1

Welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  Love those plants.  I can't help with ID, but I'm sure someone will be along soon who can.  Do you know the age of the exposure?  Is it Penn?

The plant fossil were from the penn but the egg shaped things I found about another 30 ft up the mountain so basically the mountain was scrapped for building a home and I have permission to dig all I want I have a whole toys of those plants and I found a ton of those egg shaped things all in a cluster like a nest going back next month to get the rest of them

The second item looks like a siderite concretion. 

Not an egg, unfortunately. 

The first plants look like Lepidodendron branches, to me.

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I’ve looked at pictures on google of the siderite concretion and I’m not finding any that are similar do you have any good pics?

12 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

The second item looks like a siderite concretion. 

Not an egg, unfortunately. 

The first plants look like Lepidodendron branches, to me.

Agreed, the first three pics look like Lepidodendron foliage. The other pics show branches of some other type of plant but I'm not sure what. No scales or regular segments that I can see. I think the nodules are Goethite, not Siderite. The broken sections look black colored to me and I'm betting that a close view of them would show a slightly fibrous profile. Can you clean off the rusty interior to see if there is a smooth, slightly bumpy surface?

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I cleaned them last night but yes I will do some more cleaning the broken pieces are a dark brown as well as the interior under the yellowish color the dark brown portions have tint pores in them under magnification  that’s why I thought possibly an egg of some kind I will work more on a deeper clean and post new pics

Not eggs. A hatchling trying to break through that shell would need a pneumatic jack hammer and/or explosives to get out. Also, one piece appears to have two shells. Bring on the nukes, ma, we're breakin' otta here!

On the other hand, they are awesome specimens of whatever they are. I would go back and get as many more as I could find. You don't see many like that.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I would not be looking for any fossil eggs in Kentucky, the geology is mostly marine Paleozoic and you would not find replaced hard shell eggs in those units. Siderite nodules are very common in both the Mississippian and Pennsylvanian strata of KY.