dinosaur man

Hi I recently found theses online are they Stegoceras vertebrae? the small ones are 0.5 mm to 13 mm the larger ones are 0.7 mm to 15 mm and there from the dinosaur park formation of Alberta thanks. :)

81EEFA6A-6368-46A5-A1AA-34FEA6835F41.jpeg

How is it that Alberta fossils are for sale online?  Export from the province is illegal without a permit, which would certainly not be issued for purposes of commercial sale.

Don

• I found this Informative 2

They where gotten before the law went into effect I seen a bunch of Alberta fossils online 

They might have, but it's also possible these were illegally smuggled out of the country. This is sort of the same general level of risk you're looking at with Chinese or Brazilian fossils; some were legally exported a while ago, but there is still something of an illegal market in illegally exported fossils. I'm not going to tell anyone how to live their lives, but if you don't want to contribute to fossil poaching and smuggling, you should probably avoid sales like this. There are definitely active research sites in Alberta which have been poached by people who are looking to smuggle those fossils out of the country and sell them illegally.

• I found this Informative 1

The govt does allow some collections to be sold outside of Canada. I do not believe many fossil collections get permission or what the specific requirements are but They do issue dispositions that allow for some stuff to moved.

If you see Alberta fossils for sale, ask for the disposition #. If they can not provide it, don’t buy them. Unless they can verify that those fossils were exported before the ban, I would avoid them as you would lack proof. 

I know of one US dealer that had and may still have a few dinosaur fossils from Alberta with the disposition. Those would be completely legal to own. I have a few from that collection. 

• I found this Informative 2