Sphenophyllum?

Rockpit

I have two different nodules from September that I think may be Sphenophyllum. 

Both nodules were found open, one had one half heavily covered in minerals. 

I did a short rinse in vinegar to clean that off. 

IMG_0504.thumb.JPG.d96092a1629afbcde02610a65800f909.jpg  DSC02630.thumb.JPG.a0a6ff561411d8a0a0a01b97bbcadcf9.jpg

The other nodule has an image inside that reminds me of a child's drawing of a daisy with the stem, pointy leaves, and petals. 

I only rinsed this one in water because I am afraid any brushing or vinegar would erase the image.

DSC02615.thumb.JPG.1ac4246203400acf6aa44697960cecd0.jpg   DSC02616.thumb.JPG.db7b2974679df3af1a42a3cf2ff6bb3a.jpg

They too one may be Sphenophyllum  but it is very difficult to say for certain.

I believe the second specimen is Annularia stellata.

• I found this Informative 1

They are both weathered to the point where it's hard to make the call from photos. The first one doesn't look like two halves of the same concretion -- my brain isn't seeing a match no matter which way I turn them. I wouldn't be comfortable with calling any of them either Sphenophyllum or Annularia from just seeing the photos and I'm not sure seeing them firsthand would make much difference. I'm leaning towards calling them Equisetopsida indet.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

6 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

They are both weathered to the point where it's hard to make the call from photos. The first one doesn't look like two halves of the same concretion -- my brain isn't seeing a match no matter which way I turn them. I wouldn't be comfortable with calling any of them either Sphenophyllum or Annularia from just seeing the photos and I'm not sure seeing them firsthand would make much difference. I'm leaning towards calling them Equisetopsida indet.

13 hours ago, Nimravis said:

-

Thank you all for your input, although I'm not sure what @Nimravis meant! :)  I was unable to find any pictures of Equisetopsida indet. fossils but in looking at Wittry's  Mazon Creek Fossil Flora, I could see how the "daisy" could be a whorl of Annularia stellata with a partial whorl forming what looks like a stem and leaf (page 92, Fig. 1)

I attached some more photos of the first specimen.  It isn't a perfect fit but they do go together.  I found both pieces next to each other and I think weathering has changed their shapes.  I agree, it is hard to match them from the internal viewIMG_0628.JPG.3db3fa6939e3a94aa6ea6fe41a1b7e79.JPG

IMG_0632.JPG.f2b7f802489fc0e9e0978f1c196de390.JPGIMG_0627.JPG.f6afcf365d56eebdf1c53449ffe80c08.JPG

IMG_0630.JPG.dde4e349b1f3f82821c51864b384dad5.JPG

5 minutes ago, Rockpit said:

Thank you all for your input, although I'm not sure what @Nimravis meant!

Sorry, I don’t know what happened to my response- I was say that the first one kind of looks like Sphenophyllum and the second one appears to be more like an Annularia but others have already stated that.