North Dakota's Mummified Edmontosaurus

Troodon

This was on several twitter paleo pages, posted this morning by several paleontologists.  Comments and photos are that of the of North Dakota Geological Survey's Paleontology protection program. 

2014 article

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2014/oct/21/dakota-ducbkilled-dinosaur-home-bismarck

This was the old "Dakota" exhibit. It was meant to be temporary. The arm is the piece on the bottom edge. It was previously displayed with the palm up, and this side was not well prepared and wasn't exposed before.  

EHFdIw1WwAAC-y2.thumb.jpeg.210e1ae5a436e54b1541f4db97c4f59b.jpeg

This is indeed a portion of "Dakota" the Dinomummy, which is part of the North Dakota State Fossil Collection. We are currently working on cleaning this specimen for a new exhibit to open Feb 2020

EHFdHMYWkAEEDeq.thumb.jpeg.4b89a7e29b60af36c03da298910cabd0.jpeg

People were confused at exactly what they were looking at here, so we've thrown together a little guide to explain how the bones of the hand relate to the fossilized soft tissue. Yes, digit III has a large 'hoof-like' nail, and much of the hand is encased in 'mitten' of skin. What this means is that the fingers could not really move independently that much, but acted more as a single unit. The tiny pink finger (digit V) is reduced and had no nail. Note: these images are "in progress" images. More work has been completed since they were taken

EHH5udPX0AEzE5n.thumb.jpeg.5cea3766dd289daf302bd87a5025ecf6.jpeg

Tail skin

EHFdKhHX4AEaF_k.thumb.jpeg.47d075a20dac2f4f2c46b408e65809b2.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

For hadrosaur lovers how about this hammer and sheath and it fossil Friday 

EHAeLW8UwAAp4oi.jpeg.0b95a617f83e3de59a92f55c97eb1917.jpeg

Posted by Shino Sugimoto a preparer at the ROM

• I found this Informative 5

Wow, both the info on the fossil mummy and the hammer sheath.  Thank you for posting them!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Another (partly mummified) specimen is housed in the Senckenberg Museum in Frankfurt, Germany:

Edmontosaurus-1416.jpg.82e6ad681f21ec30c7e0692495950f6b.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Hey Frank nice posts and the Dino mummy is amazing. I like the hammer too.

Happy Fossil Friday and here is my contribution from my home town.

Discovery of Hadrosaur footprint over 30 years ago was first dinosaur fossil finding in Scotland . June 1982 researchers from the University of Leicester Department of Geology discovered the first ever recorded dinosaur fossil in Scotland, dating back 175 million years to the mid-Jurassic Age. They first thought it belonged to a Theropod and  later was assigned to the ‘Ornithopod’ . They could have really used TFF to help out with IDs back in the day. 

4F9DFA15-103D-48B9-BF4D-060878D07A1E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2