Bones Central Texas

willtexas07

I found a deer skull in an area of Central Texas where Native Americans lived for over 12,000 years.  The skull was found half way up a tree.  Near by were other weathered bones, mainly of deer.  Additonally I found an unusal orbital socket, I guess that is the term.  The eye socket is the same height as that of the deer, but much more elongated and it looks like the nose would have been very near the eyes, like a cat.  I am posting a picture of the bones in hopes that someone has knowledge about both living and extinct Texas wildlife.  I can post different angles, if needed.  Thanks for looking and any help you can provide!20191018_163318.thumb.jpg.c9ec597b0c8e491852efe36c27bee3bd.jpg

The partial bone next to the skull is part of a pelvis (not an eye socket).  

A bobcat might have not wanted to be bothered around the separated bits of a kill...even a scavaging gray fox might surprise you what he can get up a tree.

;)

• I found this Informative 4

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

The skull is a modern white-tailed deer, Odocoileus virginianus, not in any way associated with the Native American culture of the area; but rather, as @JohnJ has said, modern (recent) predation, likely from a bobcat.

• I found this Informative 4

JohnJ and grandpa thank you very much for your informative replies to my query.  I have almost zero  knowledge of bones and was looking to confirm the skull as White Tail Deer.  As for the pelvis, I was way off track.  Thanks for helping me out on that one as well.  I am disappointed it was not the remains of a recently deceased Sabre Tooth Cat!  Finding bones on top of a known Native American campsite, in no way ties the bones to activities of people who were likely long gone before that animal died of natural causes or predation.  I see no signs of alteration on the bones photographed, that would lead me to believe any human hands were involved.  I do have other bones, which I am theorizing were utilized as expedient tools since they appear altered and were found in the right place.  Because I do not understand what marks are left by predators on bones, or natural fracture vs cutting of bones, I could be misguided.  I have found antlers that appear to have saw marks and bones that appear to be shaped into awls similar to ones I have seen online.  I do not know if anyone would care to have a look.  I am pretty well versed on the lithic artifacts that were left behind, but there is much less information on bone artifacts.  The last thing I want to be doing is picking up bones of recenty deceased animals and making a connection to the Native Americans that is not there.   

• I found this Informative 2

In the general category there is an artifact section. Post your pictures of possible artifacts there and you should get some good responses!

• I found this Informative 3