CharlieOsnap

Hello all. I am a newbie on fossil forum and am thrilled that there is a platform like this to help amateurs like myself identify our finds. Thanks in advance. My wife and I have been hunting and collecting fossils over the last few years and it has become a passion. There is nothing more exciting than finding the million plus year old remains of a living creature. We are currently camping in Virginia(USA) at the Westmoreland state park located on the Potomac river near the  Chesapeake bay.

We went to a local beach known as fossil beach and I found a very small(1/2" long) mammal jaw bone and would love to know more about it. I do not want to speculate on what I believe it is.... I don't want to bias any opinions and I'm no expert! I found it in the sand about 10' above the waters edge.

We also found some shark teeth, some fossilized bone fragments and a few ray mouth plate pieces but nothing as exciting as the jaw bone.

Sorry for the crappy pics, the entire jaw bone is only 1/2" long.

20191018_224822.thumb.jpg.bbf1347e3563a207d50326608b4d1b90.jpg20191018_224822.thumb.jpg.bbf1347e3563a207d50326608b4d1b90.jpg

20191018_224722.jpg

Ha! That's what I just found online. Some type of a shrew....I didn't know the technical name- thanks doushantuo!

Remember, there is a marshy area that drains into the river at that beach. Always check it for fossils by the way.

Hey Rockwood, I found the jawbone on the opposite side of the stream close to the far side of the beach near the cliffs. I'm not sure if it is a fossil or not.... I think it is but am not an expert. I don't know how to verify without damaging it. Regardless I'm happy with it. It's so small and complete. 

I suspect it is going to be a tough question to answer. The darkness of the teeth could be an indication that it is a fossil. There is a fair amount of ironstone in the area though. Between the tannin build up in the marsh and iron in the ground I doubt that color can be considered a reliable indicator.

The usual tests are going to be hard to judge, but I would try gently taping my teeth with the jaw portion. It may be possible to judge whether it is mineralized by the tone, or pitch, of what you sense. Is it more like that of stone or more dull like wood or bone might make ?

Also, this location was primarily a marine environment, though I’m sure terrestrial fossils would not be out of the question entirely...