Crab fossils from Rakhine State of Myanmar

-Andy-

Hi all, I recently got this crab as a gift from a Burmese friend. He said it came from the Rakhine State, western shore of Myanmar. He said his friend found it there. Unfortunately, neither of them kept any extra provenance detail about it.

I can find no info whatsoever about this crab online. I don't think Myanmar fossils outside of amber have easily accessible documentation.

This crab looks like it might be a Galene bispinosa. Does anyone know what species it is, and what age or formation it possibly came from? Thank you.

Crustacean_Myanmar-Crab_2.jpg

Crustacean_Myanmar-Crab_3.jpg

Crustacean_Myanmar-Crab_6.jpg

Crustacean_Myanmar-Crab_5.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

@MB

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2019 at 1:24 AM, MB said:

Ooops, sorry, you knew his name already, from me in another forum.

The age, the same answer that there, not very old, Plio? Pleisto? :zzzzscratchchin:

Thanks. I have no idea how old it is either. No one has any info about it. I can only guess it to be "not very old" based on the age of G. bispinosa

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/11/2019 at 11:46 AM, Wrangellian said:

Are those bryozoans covering it in places? (Modern or fossil?)

I can't tell. They look old but I am not good at identifying between modern and fossil bryozoans

I have one that looks very similar.  I purchased it 12-15 years ago.  It was listed as "new find, unidentified genus and species" from China, Tertiary period.  I had forgotten about it until I saw your post.  Mine looks like it has better details, so maybe it can help in the identification process.  Photo below.

Top.jpg

Bottom (2).jpg

Front (2).jpg

Left (2).jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Thanks! I can't tell much either but I gotta say - the details on yours is astonishing

Thanks Andy.  Maybe someone in the group will actually know what genus & species is it and we will both astonished.  I took my time prepping this one, but might have overdone the underside some???  It would be nice for both of us to finally have a name for it!! 

2 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Thanks Andy.  Maybe someone in the group will actually know what genus & species is it and we will both astonished.  I took my time prepping this one, but might have overdone the underside some???  It would be nice for both of us to finally have a name for it!! 

I am quite sure mine is Galene bispinosa, or at least a cf. Galene bispinosa. I am unsure if yours is the same though

Happy and relieved you were able to identified your crab.  I can't seem to find much on crabs in the Tertiary period or Galene bispinosa.  The guy I purchased mine from is located in China.  Not too sure the crab is "actually" from China though, it might have been just the way he posted it.  When I asked for more information all he kept saying is "genuine fossil, genuine, it genuine".  I guess I'll just put it away for now and maybe someday......

8 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Happy and relieved you were able to identified your crab.  I can't seem to find much on crabs in the Tertiary period or Galene bispinosa.  The guy I purchased mine from is located in China.  Not too sure the crab is "actually" from China though, it might have been just the way he posted it.  When I asked for more information all he kept saying is "genuine fossil, genuine, it genuine".  I guess I'll just put it away for now and maybe someday......

Some of the Facebook groups like Paleontology or Fossil Decapods might be able to help

12 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

I have one that looks very similar.  I purchased it 12-15 years ago.  It was listed as "new find, unidentified genus and species" from China, Tertiary period.  I had forgotten about it until I saw your post.  Mine looks like it has better details, so maybe it can help in the identification process.  Photo below.

Are you sure yours is a fossil?     :zzzzscratchchin:

It looks awfully good for being a fossil.  :headscratch:

I tend to question any fossil that comes from China, though.  :shrug:

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

It didn't look that way when I received it.  Took months of "careful" prepping/detailing to get it to it's current state.

On 18/11/2019 at 6:53 PM, Ruger9a said:

It didn't look that way when I received it.  Took months of "careful" prepping/detailing to get it to it's current state.

Your crab is Galene bispinosa, sure, like the Burmese one but with diferent preservation, and maybe diferent age. But no age is confirmated neither the exact locality of those fossils. They would be, surely from the Holocene of  "Yangjiang, Guangdong Province, China" as it were labelled the first ones on the market.

Do you prepared it or you puchased it like it is?

:unsure:

Thanks MB, another I can move from the unidentified draw.   I prepared it, took a while and I was getting frustrated.  I should have quit, but couldn't and got a little carried away on the underside...……. and it shows.  I left some of the matrix under the claw arms.