Info required please

MINER44

Hi,

new to the forum so please bear with me ! My Dad was a coal miner and he had several fossils which I “inherited” when he passed away 17 years ago. Among them is what seems to me to be a small, heavy petrified mussel (photo attached). It’s about an inch and a half across, very heavy and looks to be completely intact. I’m just after an explanation of how it cane to be and a rough idea of age ? It was found in amongst a seam of coal around 2000 feet below an estuary. Any info would be gratefully received ! Thanks 

079DD156-5E7B-4364-988A-7C2D492E2D43.jpeg

48BEF9CA-0DC6-41D8-B1D5-80DFFC758E9E.jpeg

You will have to give some information as to where this coal mine is for anyone to figure a date.

Sorry ! North Wales, UK beneath the river Dee estuary which basically separates North Wales from Merseyside. So offshore just off a town called Prestatyn. 

It's an Upper Carboniferous Coal Measures bivalve, probably non-marine - there are quite a few and I'm bad at telling them apart but likely to be Anthraconaia or Carbonicola. These are sometimes very common in beds between coal seams. (Approximate age 310-320 million years)

• I found this Informative 4

Tarquin