Petalodus12

Hi all.

I was wondering if I could get some sort of specific ID on a possible insect wing that I found in the roof shales of a thin coal that is dated to the Late Pennsylvanian or Kasimovian. Fossil plants and some vertebrate material can be found in the same shale. Stratigraphic information: From a roof shale of a thin coal roughly 30 feet below the Brush Creek Limestone of the Glenshaw Formation in the Conemaugh Group. Discovered in the suburbs outside of Pittsburgh.  

1EAF9A59-426A-4066-99CE-858445475443.thumb.jpeg.48a62a5e7dd2e6190fbcd4a068707949.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I want to say yes, but something about it bugs me. (Pun intended) Not certain if it's the lighting, but something at the bottom right tip of the specimen isn't consistent with the expected location of a wing root. It could be plant material. How large is it? There's no scale reference.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

It’s about 1/2 inch long. I can post better pictures of it tomorrow with scale when I get back home. And the bottom of the wing is missing so that may be why it seems odd. And the main reason why it stood out to me as different is that the plants in this layer are carbonized and poorly preserved, while this (even though it is the impression) has relief. 

5 hours ago, Petalodus12 said:

It’s about 1/2 inch long. I can post better pictures of it tomorrow with scale when I get back home. And the bottom of the wing is missing so that may be why it seems odd. And the main reason why it stood out to me as different is that the plants in this layer are carbonized and poorly preserved, while this (even though it is the impression) has 

Nice find. Early cockroach:envy:

• I found this Informative 4

Looks similar to cockroach, to me.

4912177-cock.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'm in the cockroach camp on this one. Nice find.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I've never found fossils of insects, you're lucky !:envy:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

2 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I would still like to see a close up of this piece.

@RCFossils what do you think?

I would like to see a bit more veination but believe it is a roachoid wing.

• I found this Informative 2

I tried my best with pictures, but my phone camera is not the best. And thank you all for the replies, this has all been so helpful.

19 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

I've never found fossils of insects, you're lucky !:envy:

Thanks, I was really happy when I found it!

The fossil indeed looks like a wing. I cant tell form the picture, but is there any cross veins preserved on the specimen? I'm no expert, but from what I've heard this can be a helpful hint (if preserved) when distinguishing a plant from a wing.

What ever it is... Nice find!