Is it legal to fossil hunt in Malta?

Pterygotus

Hello everyone, I’m off to Malta next week and am wondering wether or not it’s legal to fossil hunt there. I’ve seen several sources saying it is but I’ve also seen many people come back from Malta with many finds. Have any rules changed or is it just exportation that’s illegal. thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, Pterygotus said:

Would picking up loose bits be legal?

Probably not. There are probably fossils available for purchase which are officially sanctioned for export, and those are probably what people bring home from Malta. I wouldn't try getting even a tiny specimen past customs officials. They are experienced with fossil smuggling and will nail you. In the end it is probably less expensive to buy them, since common material is usually not expensive and the rare specimens will get you some jail time. You'll be going through customs on the way in, so I suppose you could ask them at that time for specifics. If they tell you that you can, get it in writing on official letterhead.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 20/10/2019 at 9:12 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Probably not. There are probably fossils available for purchase which are officially sanctioned for export, and those are probably what people bring home from Malta. I wouldn't try getting even a tiny specimen past customs officials. They are experienced with fossil smuggling and will nail you. In the end it is probably less expensive to buy them, since common material is usually not expensive and the rare specimens will get you some jail time. You'll be going through customs on the way in, so I suppose you could ask them at that time for specifics. If they tell you that you can, get it in writing on official letterhead.

Thanks!

• I found this Informative 1