Best Blast Cabinet

SULLY

So if you were going to get a blast cabinet setup, what would you get? I know that a person probably needs two different setups to do it the correct way. And I apologize ahead of time if this has already been discussed. I don’t want the cheap stuff. I want quality that’s going to last. So I’m prepared to have to step up to the plate money wise to make that happen. Thank you everyone ahead of time!

Sincerely, J 

Depends on what you plan to work on.  Really small stuff or anything that needs a microscope?  Then you will need something that has a glass top so you can set up the microscope on it.  I built my own that way you can get all the specs customized including where it is going to fit in the lab.  

I don’t want anything too small. I would like one with a scope or at least some form of magnification and definitely lighting. For the second cabinet I am not worried about magnification, but I would like it to be large enough to fit at least a four foot specimen in there and definitely have lighting 

19 hours ago, SULLY said:

So if you were going to get a blast cabinet setup, what would you get? I know that a person probably needs two different setups to do it the correct way. And I apologize ahead of time if this has already been discussed. I don’t want the cheap stuff. I want quality that’s going to last. So I’m prepared to have to step up to the plate money wise to make that happen. Thank you everyone ahead of time!

Sincerely, J 

Cheap is actually best since your cabinet is likely the one piece where you can get away with cheap. I built mine out of scrap wood and a few $$s for a piece of glass and a couple hinges. Total cost was $10. My dimensions are 36"W x 30"D x 12"H. I have a 4" removable platform which allows me to bring thin slabs into focus in my microscope which has an 8" focus height. I use a cheap dual goose-neck LED microscope lamp to illuminate the work area (its microscope only so you don't need a large illuminated area). It sits in the cabinet so abrasive gets on the lens, but I just knock it off every now and again. Eventually, I plan to install some strip LEDs to the top of my viewing window in order to solve the dirty light issue but that's not a huge priority right now.