Show us your Missisipian or later trilobites!

MeargleSchmeargl

As we all know, the trilobites were on their last proverbial legs coming out of the end-Devonian extinctions, their numbers having dwindled to a lone order, Proetida. I haven't seen a lot of talk about these last few survivors of the trilobite lineage, so I wonder how many of us have one of these survivors! I personally don't, but I'm interested to see the forum's contributions!

• I found this Informative 3

Every single fossil you see is a miracle set in stone, and should be treated as such.

Heres one of my local favorites. A nice enrolled and prone Ameropiltonia Lauradanae trilobites from the Missouri Chouteau Formation.

20191026_130246.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

• 3 months later...

Heres another Missouri trilobite. Decently rarer than its relative above, it's a Comptonaspis swallowi! This trilobite lacks the ornamentation on the cephalon that the piltonia have, and can typically grow a little bit bigger. This trilobite also comes from the Mississippian Chouteau Formation as well. Locality specific for this one was Saline County, MO.

20200205_153541.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The species is: Comptonaspis swallowi

image.thumb.png.0d3b82d3d66ec1b2c67d2dfae20bba0b.png

Brezinski, D.K. 1988

Revision and Redescription of some Lower Mississippian Trilobites from the Chouteau Formation (Kinderhookian) of Central Missouri. Journal of Paleontology, 62(1):103-110

• I found this Informative 2

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png