New Nano Tooth! Color Variations

Dracarys

I just obtained a Nanotyran tooth that is 2.2 inch. It's beautiful but wanted to know what causes the unique difference in the color of the teeth between the nano teeth or any tooth for that matter. Golden brown vs Chocolate brown vs black vs the variant that I have. Thanks in advance. 

IMG_3041.jpeg

IMG_3043.jpeg

IMG_3044.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Variations in the colour of a fossil are often the result of the type of sediment the tooth/bone was buried in and the subsequent mineralization  process that allowed for the organic material to fossilize. Beautiful tooth really impressive!

In addition I believe what you are seeing in your specimen is post mineralization.  Moisture/Heat for example can weaken and discolor the the enamel and cause it to flake  

Thank you both. And so the baseline color will be related to the mineralization process but the color variations afterwards is based on heat/sun/moisture, etc, damaging the enamel. Theoretically then, an undamaged tooth should be the same color,  Does the enamel of the tooth also mineralize or just Bony matrix? I thought enamel was a very hard substance. 

• I found this Informative 1

Enamel mineralizes to obtain its color and is hard.  Unfortunately just like bone lots of element come to play after that to impact what it looks like when its removed from its resting place.