Bev

I was asked to present on fossil hunting at the 2019 Minnesota Mineral Club Show in Cottage Grove, MN on Oct. 19th after one of their Board Members saw me on the TV show Minnesota Bound episode #903. I thought you all might like some pics of the show!

5dade5d7a5196_1mnmineralclubsign.jpg.1f309bead8711fb4f9160574665b81cd.jpg

Overflow of vendors in the outside parking lot.

5dade5fdc9aa4_2outsidevendors.jpg.df3e0dea7455fcb950375145c5b00ac5.jpg

5dade61030e1a_3entrance.jpg.95e0d3380f7695eebb6baded025c268d.jpg

As you come into the building...

5dade627c206a_4insidetheentrance.jpg.6b6dada02c7df8a7d4cffe7be467a14b.jpg

Displays...

5dade640101e6_5showextendeddisplay.jpg.002c12afb97d75349e243bb615c7ab8e.jpg

5dade6512c746_6boothdisplay.jpg.ed1ff97ed263996abb44d9698cfe7f6d.jpg

5dade65d79074_7jewelrydisplay.JPG.5b5ded0a9bcbffb40be9903626d15c93.JPG

Some educational...

5dade67d49ea6_8trex.jpg.28c01203be05bc8953d1e5ddfd53b707.jpg

One whole room was for educational displays and interactive stuff. GeschWhat is up front and doing shark tooth necklaces for kids!

5dade6c215e54_9edu.crafts.foodroom.jpg.3b7a10139dfe2f8c0d60a199f16ab02e.jpg

5dade6d48a117_10educationaldisplays.jpg.1ab037ebbf4c3dae61f3096f50736a2f.jpg

Very cool Florescent rock display!

5dade6fbbed37_11flourescentmineraldisplaytent.thumb.jpg.fef3993a9f218e7d2ca479d047651efc.jpg

5dade70b0086d_12flourescentmineralchart.jpg.adf8f82acf33fb0bef86032bd2530480.jpg

Some of the outside vendors...

5dade72b2a2d9_13outsidebuckets.jpg.7ebe7a4ff55a1109cce83b49e62dbc56.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

Very cool! Mineral club shows are always fun.

Was your fossil presentation topic "Things you can find in your neighborhood"? :D

1 hour ago, Mediospirifer said:

Very cool! Mineral club shows are always fun.

Was your fossil presentation topic "Things you can find in your neighborhood"? :D

No, LOL  "Hunt Fossils Older than the Dinosaurs"  :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Looks like a great little show, Bev... I'm sure I wouldn't be yawning like that guy appears to be doing in that one pic..

Some of your pics are a little too dinky to make out much.

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Looks like a great little show, Bev... I'm sure I wouldn't be yawning like that guy appears to be doing in that one pic..

Some of your pics are a little too dinky to make out much.

I agree on the too small pics. With the 3.95 limit on pics, I was trying to get them all in one post and resized them way down to do that. And didn't get the last couple in anyway. But I think it gave a nice overview of the show.  :-)

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

Looks like a nice fun show!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

11 hours ago, Bev said:

I agree on the too small pics. With the 3.95 limit on pics, I was trying to get them all in one post and resized them way down to do that. And didn't get the last couple in anyway. But I think it gave a nice overview of the show.  :-)

Yes.. just can't see Lori - not knowing what she looks like I can't pick her out.

I don't know what software you're using but with mine there is a way to reduce the quality without reducing the size of the pics. When you save a jpg, it (one of the programs I've got), asks whether I want to save it at 100% quality, or 90%, etc. Even at 90% there is a significant reduction in file size, without reduction in picture size and without noticeable reduction in quality. (Probably you'd start seeing reduction in quality at 80% or less.)  Anyway, adding pics in subsequent posts is better than putting too-small pics all in one post, I think!

• I found this Informative 1

@Wrangellian5db5c075a319e_11WubblesRavine.thumb.jpg.222c4e1797b8104545d30fd42b186608.jpg

GeschWhat: Lori

Minnesota Buckeye: Mike kneeling

And a fossil friend of mine: Todd

We are at Wubbles' Ravine which is famous in the 1880s paleontology literature. That is Lori's book on Coprolite that Mike is holding.  :-)

• I found this Informative 2

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Were there any coprolites found there? What is the site famous for?

Basically, it is one of the foundation paleontology sites in Minnesota. Trilos, gastros, brachs, just a wide variety of the Ordovician.  :-)

It took me 4 years to find it!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Did you find lots of those things there? I don't remember if you made a thread about it...

There was so much there it was overwhelming! I really fall down on the minerals. Yes, I bought some things, but mostly I was there to learn besides presenting on fossils. I had to laugh when it came to my name tag they just wrote the "Fossil Lady"!  LOL  :-D  I don't even have a name anymore!  I was especially impressed with the florescent mineral display. A big black tent where you can walk in and see all of these BEAUTIFUL lit up rocks - WOW!  :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I meant at that roadcut, but I don't mean to divert from the topic!

Y'all seem to have great shows in the Midwest, with lots of stuff.

We used to have a display case with UV light for fluorescent minerals that we acquired from a rockhound sale but we never got it set up and all the labels have become dissociated from the minerals and we don't know what's what any more (I think they came to us like that). I've seen good displays but the tent idea sounds like a step beyond!

Bev, did you have a display there or did you give a talk or something?  If you had a display, any photos?

Don

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Bev, did you have a display there or did you give a talk or something?  If you had a display, any photos?

Don

Hi Don, I gave a talk with a question and answer and had a display with the talk. Tools for extraction and prep, Minnesota Buckeye's very cool fossil display to show what we find down here, fossil hunting maps of the area if someone knows their Ordo fossils and don't need a tour, wire wrapped fossils made into jewelry as an example of what you can do with your fossils and of course fossils to pass around and give to the audience! And Lori's book of course on Coprolite as a show and tell.   :-D

5db87ea5492c2_mydisplay.jpg.a175db0f1a629c4d24803aff5e5a5f3a.jpg

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

11 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I meant at that roadcut, but I don't mean to divert from the topic!

Y'all seem to have great shows in the Midwest, with lots of stuff.

We used to have a display case with UV light for fluorescent minerals that we acquired from a rockhound sale but we never got it set up and all the labels have become dissociated from the minerals and we don't know what's what any more (I think they came to us like that). I've seen good displays but the tent idea sounds like a step beyond!

The florescent mineral tent was simple but oh so cool! As you can see it is just one of those light canopy, pvc I believe, tents shrouded in light blocking black fabric. You go in and around a corner to the blackout area and there is a display case with the UV light and all kinds of LARGE glowing minerals! It was really spectacular! And here is the florescent mineral chart on the front of the tent.  :-D

I have an aquarium in my barn shrouded in Mylar sewn to fabric with a UV light and small minerals and fossils and that is an "Oh - Ahh" thing for the kids here.

5db87f9686876_11flourescentmineraldisplaytent.thumb.jpg.a2e3c7b8722b6a9cd9f74103581ccff6.jpg5db882844d9d9_12flourescentmineralchart.jpg.b726e073512c9506afadf55c9ec2dfc1.jpg

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

50 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Thanks Bev! :fistbump: Lots of nice Ordovician goodies I see.

Don

Thanks! The Ordo within about 20 miles of home here in Fillmore County is what I specialize in. Lordy, I have over 200 sites to visit within 20 miles of home and still finding more! This year I discovered the "Valley of the Fisherites" about 5 miles from home. A lovely shaded dry wash with lots of Fisherites, cephs, gastropods - all my favorites just walk along and pick them up.  :-D

5db89375bb1e1_VFbranchrootsrs.thumb.jpg.d4cc4d618b3b430d97cced81234c872a.jpg

Love these roots! They look like branches on the ground!

5db893ba0706b_VFtrilocephrs.thumb.jpg.f68945bf5252e59842909617c93f7ce4.jpg

Trilo and ceph. The bedrock is just loaded with fossils you can't get out or it would take work to get them out.  :-)

5db8941de175e_VFmosstreers.jpg.52dd4ea76b9ae383c96e93746d98a04d.jpg

What a lovely amble up this dry wash. So quiet and serene. No cars, no people, just the lowing of the cows in the distance.

5db8949574dfe_VFwholefisherite.thumb.jpg.5541e87e7f1b0f575101440c068c7c6c.jpg

A whole Fisherite. About 40% of these will fluoresce due to the calcite. Too many to possibly carry home.

5db894ecc4d40_VFlongviewnadiars.thumb.jpg.2e35db19178f4737398e3c978eef7eff.jpg

The perfect hunt on a warm summer day. 

The "Valley of the Fisherites".  :-)

• I found this Informative 1

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

5 hours ago, Bev said:

The florescent mineral tent was simple but oh so cool! As you can see it is just one of those light canopy, pvc I believe, tents shrouded in light blocking black fabric. You go in and around a corner to the blackout area and there is a display case with the UV light and all kinds of LARGE glowing minerals! It was really spectacular! And here is the florescent mineral chart on the front of the tent.  :-D

I have an aquarium in my barn shrouded in Mylar sewn to fabric with a UV light and small minerals and fossils and that is an "Oh - Ahh" thing for the kids here.

It's a great idea for a temporary setup where there is room for it. The thing we had was a wooden box on legs, with a viewing hole in the top, and a switch so you could switch between a normal lightbulb and the UV one, so you could see how different the minerals looked under each.

It sat outside for a while because we had no room for it inside and I think it's toast now. Pearls before swine...

3 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

If I had that many sites close to home, I would probably be unemployed for chronic absenteeism.

Don

LOL!!!  YES it is a great distraction! I can't possibly hit all  of them in one season! However, what fun!  LOL  :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts: