Bev

1 hour ago, Wrangellian said:

Great spot!...

Are those people on one of your guided tours?

No they are just Wwoofers.. World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms. They work for 20 hrs. a week for room and board and then have fun in the area.  :-)

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

17 hours ago, Bev said:

@FossilDAWG here is my display in a larger size.5db8830cebb21_mydisplayfullsize.thumb.jpg.2db3ff1c3e9fbe39235610842aeca4a7.jpg

Looks like you had fun!! Maybe next year I can visit the show. Is @GeschWhat a member.? I was just curious what their field trips involve, I may join the club. 

Here is a little closer look at Bev's display piece. ALL fossils on this were collected within the city limits of Rochester, Minnesota. The purpose of this creation was to show children what is just outside of their backdoor. These are in their local neighborhoods.  There is no need for a long trip to find treasures. It was to be donated to the nature center in Rochester, but the bureaucracy involved (three levels!!!) in getting it approved wore on me, so I donated it to a teacher of local paleontology instead. She has put it to good use!! 

DSC_0119.thumb.JPG.9c92aedbedeaee3082881e6f506f0aad.JPG 

2019-10-032.thumb.jpg.f6ac85c7c1461939ae4e0dc58bce67c7.jpg

Mike

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

So there are other people in the area, just not fossil hunting?

LOL!!! I am about 20 miles south of Rochester, MN the home of Mayo Clinic which is just an hour south of the Twin Cities which of course has the Mall of America! Shame I'm not a big shopper...

A great FUN documentary about the geology of this region is the "Mysteries of the Driftless" on YouTube. 26 minutes long and most of it was filmed within a few miles of where I live!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

@minnbuckeye  yes Lori is a member. She was working the Kids' Korner of the mineral show this year. Lori and I were talking about her blow up T-Rex costume for next year!  LOL  :-D 

Your display is so awesome, but it is so big to travel well! I now have it in the house in my bay window.  :-)

It would be great to have a smaller, lighter one that could be transported more easily. Perhaps in a box that protected it and opened up as a display as well. :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

14 hours ago, Bev said:

LOL!!! I am about 20 miles south of Rochester, MN the home of Mayo Clinic which is just an hour south of the Twin Cities which of course has the Mall of America! Shame I'm not a big shopper...

A great FUN documentary about the geology of this region is the "Mysteries of the Driftless" on YouTube. 26 minutes long and most of it was filmed within a few miles of where I live!

I meant in that particular creek... You had said the site is quiet and you've got it all to yourself, but there are people there in your photos!

8 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I meant in that particular creek... You had said the site is quiet and you've got it all to yourself, but there are people there in your photos!

Those kids were some of my Wwoofers that I invited to fossil hunt with me. I am a Wwoofing farm. They work 20 hrs. a week and I give them room and board. It is a learning experience for them. I get mostly girls wanting to learn to use power tools. This is a pallet Garden Cottage that the Wwoofers (a variety over 13 months) built out of 95% recycled materials. Free pallets were used for the floor, walls and roof. Even the tin roof is recycled tin! Last winter it stood up to 3' of snow on the roof and this year we have had blasts of torrential rains and it has stayed dry. When I have Wwoofers here, this is where they stay. I have about $350 into this so far.

5dbac811ed8fb_gardencottagefront8.9_19.jpg.ba1d8e13dcd60ddce36f86a0686c6c5a.jpg :-)

5dbac857f3493_Eveningfront.thumb.jpg.7e259f2fc2af27506382e0e5b358a2af.jpg

Nighttime...  :-)

5dbac898eb7bf_GCinsidenorthnew.jpg.8296a0ce5be2f47afcbbbf7ff58d491e.jpg

5dbac8b161851_GCinsidesouthnew.jpg.0712b215504b41ae5c8f5acc5b3ebaa5.jpg

5dbac8ceb1f6e_grillarea.jpg.2a8f4dbcd46b54a96bb7fe3045ae2ddf.jpg

5dbac8e6d078f_outsidenorth.jpg.6483fae6177c1ede700cad012fa94655.jpg

5dbac8f92b316_outsidesouth.jpg.b648d7455c2603be859ef134aa7f500f.jpg

5dbac92514fce_nighttimeentrance.thumb.jpg.fb6a60f030121463da3fe12a00271c19.jpg

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I'm late chiming in. @Bev was a big hit at the show. I'm just sorry I didn't get to see your presentation. Everyone LOVED the fossil lady. @minnbuckeye, I just joined in September. I am impressed with all the club does for kids. Although, they don't do as much with fossils as I would like.  I haven't gone on any of the field trips (yet), but it looks like they have some really interesting ones. I know it's a drive, but you should come up for our December meeting. I heard rumor that Tinsel, the Tree Rex, will be making an appearance.  Here was my poop display at the show. 

IMG_5029.jpg

@Bev, @minnbuckeye @GeschWhat, what a lovely thread. :wub:

Informative,full of photos and with three of our great members together. 

Bev, it's wonderful to be sharing the word and encouraging others, especially children to take an interest.

Mike, looking good and it's excellent that the schoolteacher got the stuff, shame about the bureaucracy. 

Lori, it's so nice to hear from you again, I look forward to seeing Tinsel on the prowl again this year. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

@GeschWhat and @minnbuckeye  PLEASE FORGIVE ME! But I have suggested to John Porter that if he wanted to do the fossil thing again that I would love to do it WITH you two! And that we could probably do it for FREE... And Lori has dino costumes that could be so much FUN to run around in at the show. And that we could potentially do a table for IDing fossils brought in... And  a year's notice we could do a much better display and THREE people talking about fossil hunting adventures is so much more INTERESTING than just one old woman. And you guys are IMHO so much more knowledgeable than I am! It could be loads of FUN for us together and for the guests at the show - we kind of feed off each other in enthusiasm for fossils, I do believe!  LOL  :-D  Especially being kid oriented presentations!

• I found this Informative 1

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

59 minutes ago, GeschWhat said:

Come up with Mike to the meeting! 2nd Saturday in December (14th)!

I would absolutely LOVE TOO! If Mike's wife will let me ride along with him....  She considers me part of the problem for introducing him to fossil hunting...

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

20 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

Sorry, I'm late chiming in. @Bev was a big hit at the show. I'm just sorry I didn't get to see your presentation. Everyone LOVED the fossil lady. @minnbuckeye, I just joined in September. I am impressed with all the club does for kids. Although, they don't do as much with fossils as I would like.  I haven't gone on any of the field trips (yet), but it looks like they have some really interesting ones. I know it's a drive, but you should come up for our December meeting. I heard rumor that Tinsel, the Tree Rex, will be making an appearance.  Here was my poop display at the show. 

IMG_5029.jpg

Looks like an interesting display... I like the poster on the back wall  ;)

And the Shinola container - is that a 'polishing a turd' reference?

On 11/12/2019 at 4:24 AM, Wrangellian said:

And the Shinola container - is that a 'polishing a turd' reference?

More like the old reference, "You don't know s*!@ from Shinola." Only us older folks get it. I don't think the young ones even know what shoe polish is. ;)

Really nice thread people and full of cool displays. The fluorescent display is great. 

cheers Bobby 

10 hours ago, GeschWhat said:

More like the old reference, "You don't know s*!@ from Shinola." Only us older folks get it. I don't think the young ones even know what shoe polish is. ;)

Ha! Never heard that one, I guess I'm too young. But I do know what shoe polish is!

@Bev Dunno how I missed out on this thread up to now :headscratch:You sure are an active sort of person, Bev! And I'd never heard of the Wwoofers before. I'll have to ask our gardeners and farmers if they are aware of this organization. Sounds like a good thing for a social therapeutic community such as ours!

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

4 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

@Bev Dunno how I missed out on this thread up to now :headscratch:You sure are an active sort of person, Bev! And I'd never heard of the Wwoofers before. I'll have to ask our gardeners and farmers if they are aware of this organization. Sounds like a good thing for a social therapeutic community such as ours!

Nearly every country in the world has it's own Wwoof organization, here it is wwoofusa.org. Wonderful opportunity to learn about organic farming/sustainable living, do hands-on work, and learn skills. I get mostly young gals wanting to learn about power tools and building. My "claim to fame" is having bought 8 acres in the '80s for $100 down and $100 a month, built my own home and had everything bought and paid for in 4.5 years while working, raising two small kids after a divorce and going to college at the same time. Now I just shake my head and wonder where all the energy came from!  LOL  :-D

But seriously, you can go anyplace in the world pretty much just for the cost of transportation and work for room and board and play the rest of the time! The hosts all have their own specialties as far as work and play. On YouTube there is a documentary about this area called the "Mysteries of the Driftless" that is all filmed within about 75 miles of here and speaks to the unique geology of this area. I always point my wwoofers toward that docu, so they have an idea of the country they will be in.  :-)

Many of the wwoofers are actually very skilled. I know that I have traded time here (Whispering Winds, Spring Valley, MN) for plumbing, electrical work, and even had a gal who knew how to create a promotional video! We traded 3 mins. of video for 2 weeks stay and she said it only took her 6 hours and was created using free video software and she did it all on her phone. A true Win-Win for both of us! I also do Airbnb, so I do enjoy meeting people! I do some trading with Airbnb guests too, especially during the off season. Both Wwoof and Airbnb are big in Europe from what I have been told as I get to meet people from all over the world this way - FUN!   :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

@Bev Thanks for the info. I've already checked out the website and it looks like it could be something for our institution. We already have young people from other organizations doing practica here, but this might be a good supplement for our agricultural operations. Our main occupation is providing a home and work for mentally handicapped adults, but there's a lot of other stuff going on on the side, which makes it interesting for young people. We are a Camphill community. Ever heard of us?

@Ludwigia CAMPHILL! YES!  I had some guests visit from one of the Camphills in Minnesota and we had some wonderful, long chats! I've been trying to start an Ecovillage with lots of similarities to Camphill - supportive, eco-friendly environment. Good for YOU Ludwigia to be a part of such a wonderful organization!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

16 minutes ago, Bev said:

@Ludwigia CAMPHILL! YES!  I had some guests visit from one of the Camphills in Minnesota and we had some wonderful, long chats! I've been trying to start an Ecovillage with lots of similarities to Camphill - supportive, eco-friendly environment. Good for YOU Ludwigia to be a part of such a wonderful organization!

I started out at Beaver Run in PA, then went up to Canada to help found the Nottawasaga community in Ontario, then was at 2 places in Germany, the last being the Lehenhof, where I've been for the last 23 years. I was also involved in the international steering groups for a few years, so I've spent time at a lot of our communities. Been at it for 40 years now all tolled, but now I'm finally slipping into retirement.

@Ludwigia WOW! What a great life of giving!  I am in TOTAL ADMIRATION of your life of service. THANK YOU  for sharing!  :-D

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

what a great fossil and community discussion.  I first heard of wwoofers 30 years ago in New Zealand... met some folks who were traveling around the world doing it.  

And I need to know... what are fisherites?  It looks like a receptaculites.