Bone Daddy

Looking for Florida-specific Fossil and Rock Books

Bone Daddy

Hi Folks,

I am looking for some good books on Florida geology and Florida fossils. I don't need any beginner level books - I have them all.

I've done a lot of searching on the web, but Florida appears to be a geological wasteland in terms of rock books - not much to be had. This is not surprising, because all of Florida is nothing but sand and limestone. However, I am thinking that surely I must be missing something, so any recommendations are welcome.

I am also looking for books on Florida-specific fossils for identification and distribution purposes. Google Scholar search has netted some nice finds in this regard, but I still feel like I am missing something.

Thanks in advance!

MikeG

Sacha

Mike, I assume you're specifically looking for vertebrate info. I've gotten allot of invertebrate publications from the FPS website, specifically echinoid stuff. I think Hulbert's book is about the best I've found so far for vertebrates.

The "Roadside Geology of Florida" has some interesting sections, but generally not very exciting overall.

Bone Daddy
15 minutes ago, Sacha said:

Mike, I assume you're specifically looking for vertebrate info. I've gotten allot of invertebrate publications from the FPS website, specifically echinoid stuff. I think Hulbert's book is about the best I've found so far for vertebrates.

The "Roadside Geology of Florida" has some interesting sections, but generally not very exciting overall.

Hi Sacha,

Yes, I am mainly concerned with vertebrate fossils. I need to break down and buy Hurlbert's book.

I was wondering if the Roadside Geology book was worth buying. The other states in the series are more interesting, but Florida's geology is rather tame, so I expected the book to be the same.

Sacha

It is very tame, and the leads that you might gather from it would more often than not, lead to inverts rather than verts. It is, however, a very solid Florida specific book that I think Floridians should have in their collection.

Hulbert's book is a must have.

Bone Daddy

I am surprised that nobody has written a Peace River fossil book - given the plentiful fossils found there. I know the Peace is mentioned in many books, such as  Renz' megalodon book, but I would expect something more comprehensive that focuses specifically on the Peace. Something that covers the relevant geology and paleontology points of interest along the entire Peace from Bartow to Punta Gorda. The background info on the geology, archaeology, and paleontology can be found (usually free) online, but Peace-specific material is lacking.

Maybe us Florida hunters should collaborate and put something together that covers the Peace, and also places like the Withlacoochee, Alafia, and Myakka. All of us have some veteran experience with certain places and certain types of fossils, so if we combined our knowledge, it might make for a useful reference.

Herb

most any good book on Pleistocene vertebrates would give you a lot of info.

Bone Daddy
On 10/21/2019 at 5:08 PM, Herb said:

most any good book on Pleistocene vertebrates would give you a lot of info.

I think I need to start stockpiling those.  :)

For those who might find this thread later, here is a link to the Plaster Jacket series in PDF format. These are the original publications that Hulbert's book was partly based on.

Plaster Jacket series (and other downloads) - http://floridapaleosociety.com/downloads/