brachiopods Fossil

Bob Saunders

Hi, another find this month. largest is 11 cm. appears to have more both front and back. limestone 2.3 cm x 2.3 cm x 0.80 cm or covers a U.S quarter. Found in West Michigan. Thanks, Bob

20191021_084734.jpg

20191021_084745.jpg

Edited by Bob Saunders
correct math.
  • I found this Informative 1

14 minutes ago, Bob Saunders said:

limestone 23 cm x 23 cm x 0.80 cm or a U.S quarter.

A US quarter dollar coin is ~24mm in diameter. I'm guessing you meant millimeters, not centimeters. Yup, brachiopods and some crinoid stem segments that I can see, and some other marine debris. The back side is interesting, but I don't know what it is. Not enough detail for my eye. Upper or Lower Michigan?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thanks, I used a used a ruler marked as cm. Forgot about the decimal point. layed it on a quarter. Covered it.I have dental tools, maybe I can carefully remove matrix in the shell?

5 minutes ago, Bob Saunders said:

Thanks, I used a used a ruler marked as cm. Forgot about the decimal point. layed it on a quarter. Covered it.I have dental tools, maybe I can carefully remove matrix in the shell?

It looks too fragile for something as coarse as a dental pick. Maybe a sewing needle glued into a 1/4" dowel? Even that may break it up. It looks very thin. You could try but you might damage it. You can judge its hardiness better than I can by looking at a photo. It looks like there's some broken fragments of other shells inside the big one. I'm thinking that any abrasion might ruin the existing nacre in any spot the tool may contact. Personally, I'm in the "if you don't try to fix it you won't break it" school of thought. I would leave the brachiopod alone, and maybe dig some matrix away from the other bits first to get an idea of how easily it can be removed. Use magnification as you pick and try to not make contact with the specimen; contact only the matrix. If the matrix is soft and easy, then maybe give the brach a try.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thank you, I agree. I do have camera mount for my microscope. These were taken with my phone. From a farm pond deeper dig to 12-14 feet. Bob. 

I agree with Peat Burns, looks like Devonochontes sp.

D-Devonochonetes coronatus.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

• 3 weeks later...

Here is another from a week ago.   Devonochonetes scitulus 
 3 ½ x 2 1/16th x 7/8th      90 mm x 52 mm x 22 mm     0.7 1/8 oz    204 grams 

Location=Fennville,  Allegan County,  Michigan 

20191109_153741.jpg

20191109_153830.jpg

20191109_154001.jpg

On 10/21/2019 at 3:40 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

A US quarter dollar coin is ~24mm in diameter. I'm guessing you meant millimeters, not centimeters. Yup, brachiopods and some crinoid stem segments that I can see, and some other marine debris. The back side is interesting, but I don't know what it is. Not enough detail for my eye. Upper or Lower Michigan?

Fennville, Mich. approx. 75 miles north of the Indiana line. From digging a farm pond. 

Today I decided to stop for a quick look. Way up the hill on top of the sand I found this little guy. Crinoids and more. Put it in the ultra sonic cleaner. 

20191110_153856.jpg

20191110_153956.jpg

Ooh, lovely finds.

That last one reminds me a little of the leaf litter under my Gingko tree in fall - minus the bright yellow color! :) 

Amayzing, the layers upon layers of brachs and some bryozoans for added texture. What a beautiful collage, courtesy of mother nature! 

Would you please post pics of this one after the ultrasonic treatment? I've read of people doing it, but haven't seen any "afters".

Thanks for sharing. 

5 hours ago, Pippa said:

Ooh, lovely finds.

That last one reminds me a little of the leaf litter under my Gingko tree in fall - minus the bright yellow color! :) 

Amayzing, the layers upon layers of brachs and some bryozoans for added texture. What a beautiful collage, courtesy of mother nature! 

Would you please post pics of this one after the ultrasonic treatment? I've read of people doing it, but haven't seen any "afters".

Thanks for sharing. 

The two images are after the denture size ultrasonic cleaning machine. The transducer creates microscopic bubbles on the surface. when they collapse they force away any dirt on or inside of the object.  I set the timer and watched so I could pull the plug in case it started to fall apart using dish detergent. Do not mistake the cheap jewelry ones that only have a buzzing solenoid. I have one that may hold five gallons of liquid. 

17 hours ago, Bob Saunders said:

any Idea? Crinoid?

Yes, that look like a slightly squished crinoid columnal with some other debris stuck to it. 

used my microscope for what looks to be Crinoid? 20 power. side view, both sides. looks to have fine sand stuck to it. The Crinoid pieces we usually find have a round or star shaped hole. So if it is would like know what part it is. I plan to use graduated screens in the around 3 x 3 feet section of sand. not sure how deep. Found them Sunday, now have 16 inches of snow on it. 

DSCN4599.jpg

DSCN4596.jpg

DSCN4597.jpg