sedimentary rocks or fossils?

Rockpit

Last time I was hunting fossils at Mazonia I picked up some rocks I found interesting.  I don't know if they are fossils or not.  The first is full of tiny holes I thought might have been caused by animals-or water :).

DSC02661.thumb.JPG.a375d08d12e5490849a512b2dd493538.JPG

DSC02660.JPG

DSC02659.thumb.JPG.b75d25dd0225642f55cf5da1f36ba6fd.JPG

The second one is an impression of fossil bark from a Sigillaria tree-like lycopod. I believe the example you have is of the internal bark with the outer layer gone, and it is known as Syringodendron. I have found similar fossils as Mazonia myself. 

The other two do not appear to be fossils to me. 

• I found this Informative 2

These bark impressions come from a different layer than the ironstone concretions, I believe- the ones I have seem to be preserved in a lighter weight and more coarse rock, maybe a sandstone? 

Here are a few I found this spring at Pit 11:

5db040d95c1db_2019-10-2306_58_08.thumb.jpg.6ec9e708d23bbb3a06d5154ed8d9da6e.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice!  I thought they might be sandstone so that is why I wasn't totally sure it was a fossil.  I will have to keep my eyes open for these next time I go.

18 hours ago, Rockpit said:

Very nice!  I thought they might be sandstone so that is why I wasn't totally sure it was a fossil.  I will have to keep my eyes open for these next time I go.

Did you find any Mazon Creek concretions? If you did you can post them in the trip thread for us to drool over.