I give up. What is thisl?

Cierra

Hello - I have spent hours with this rock under the microscope hoping to find a clue that will help me confirm what it is, but....I know NOTHING about this stuff so it's best I just ask.  So about 3 years ago I acquired 2 interesting looking rocks.  I was told they were found here in Ventura, California along the Santa Clara river bed and I believe they were found within the last 30yrs.  

This first one is interesting as it looks like there's what looks like a lizard head to me protruding out of it.  It also looks like it has an outer shell and in some areas you can see crystals on the inside of the rock.   

Could this be an egg fossil?

Any help with this is greatly appreciated!  Also, I can send additional pictures if needed.  Thank you!

20191021_203503.jpg

20191021_203137.jpg

Hello and Welcome to the Fossil Forum.  You have an interesting rock there and I can see where you might infer a lizard skull from the shape of the protruding piece.  I'm afraid I don't know much about the local geology of your area but this does not look like a fossil bone to me. If there were bone material you would see some small pores that resemble foam on the broken surfaces. The color of the inclusion within the rock is variable as well with some parts reddish colored and others white, but it all looks smooth. That could be perhaps due to it having been tumbled in the river bed. However I don't see any other structures that would lead me to believe it was bone. I would suggest that maybe this was part of some Brecciated rock, one which had sharp angular fragments that became cemented together.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the Forum. :)

I have to agree, unfortunately. This doesn't look like an egg to me. 

This looks like some strange conglomeration of geologic bits.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hello and a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  Happy to have you aboard.

While I am also of the opinion that this is a geologic curiosity, I think it is a really neat looking geologic curiosity.  Please hang on to it and enjoy it as a unique find that sure looks like a baby lizard crawling out of its shell.  Neat find!

Also, please continue to share with us other of your finds.  We love to see things like this.

If it were mine I would break it open. It looks like the odds are good of finding evidence enough to think of it as being a fossil of some sort.

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

If it were mine I would break it open. It looks like the odds are good of finding evidence enough to think of it as being a fossil of some sort.

I agree. Might find something of interest on the inside. At the very least, I’d keep it as @grandpa suggests, as it is rather interesting. I collect fossils, but also have a strictly geological shelf for just such a thing. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)