MeargleSchmeargl

Cambrian Shady Dolomite east of Cartersville

MeargleSchmeargl

So I've been reading some bulletins recently looking for a new place to hit when I came across this interesting section in bulletin 54 (https://epd.georgia.gov/document/publication/b-54-geology-and-mineral-resources-paleozoic-area-northwest-georgia-1948/download):

Screenshot_20191022-115817.thumb.png.19c27678382b260909943ef8747cc923.png

I've heard of the Archeocyathus from the Georgia fossils website and that they're Georgia's oldest fossils coming in at ~516 MYO. What I didn't hear about, however, was this:

Screenshot_20191022-115848.thumb.png.2858cfb5eb318f269411010f21cc52e5.png

Trilobites? More importantly, Wanneria??? For reference, here's the bug in question:

Wanneria.jpg.f3a028386132815bfd2eb1cb097e3eb9.jpg

It's safe to say that I've never heard of the whole trilobite part about these rocks. Anyone with additional info about this?

piranha

The Shady Dolomite in Georgia only has Wanneria fragments according to Resser 1938:

Shady Dolomite — ...Archaeocyathid reefs are beautifully developed in the vicinity of Austinville (Plate 1), and Archaeocyathinae are known from Georgia and Virginia. They may be expected anywhere in the formation. In Virginia and Maryland fragmentary fossils indicate the presence of Kutorgina, Salterella, and olenellid trilobites. A very large species of Hyolithes, fragments of Wanneria, and poorly preserved brachiopods occur in reefs in northern Georgia.

Resser, C.E. 1938

Cambrian System (Restricted) of the Southern Appalachians.

Geological Society of America, Special Paper, 15:1-140

FossilDAWG

I'm a bit confused.  Is the trilobite in the photo from Georgia, and is it from the Shady?  What is the source of the photo?  I have heard of whole olenellids being found (rarely) in the Rome Formation but not the Shady.

Don

MeargleSchmeargl
1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I'm a bit confused.  Is the trilobite in the photo from Georgia, and is it from the Shady?  What is the source of the photo?  I have heard of whole olenellids being found (rarely) in the Rome Formation but not the Shady.

Don

Disclaimer, not from Shady. Reference image from the web.