Bone Daddy

The 2019-2020 Fossil Season, Peace River Group Hunt Thread

Bone Daddy

So, who wants to get together and go fossil hunting on this Peace River this season?

If the weather and scheduling allows, I would be happy to show up and engage in a group hunt - just to put some faces with the names I see in the forum, and do some networking, share tips, compare notes, etc.

I have an extra sifter and an extra kayak (with paddle and life jacket) I can bring.

I imagine that a weekend would be best, given that a lot of people work and go to school.

As far as a place goes, the first place that comes to mind is Zolfo Springs. It sits in the "middle" of the Peace (not too far south or north), it has a nice/safe park with ramp (Pioneer Park), and the fossil-hunting anywhere along that stretch of the river is pretty good - I never come home empty handed from Zolfo. Other places that come to mind are Gardner and Arcadia. I like Gardner also and I need to revisit that Miocene exposure there, but the local wildlife can be a bit wild for some people's tastes (to put it diplomatically). There's also Wauchula, which I have hunted a couple of times with mixed results. I've never hunted Arcadia, so I can't speak on there from first-hand experience.

As for timing of the trip, I think it would be great to wait until the river levels are ideal and the weather is nice - not hot (like it is now) and not frigid like it will be in dead of winter.

Input, ideas, etc - reply here.  :)

caldigger

I would love to, can you swing by and pick me up?  I'm only a few miles out of the way. :D

Although, I can't make it I still wouldn't mind seeing pics of the meet ups and prizes found.

grandpa

I'm sure hoping to be able to meet up with the group.  I'm weak and out of shape from having been under the weather for some time, but would like to think I can make it.  I'm putting myself to the test this coming weekend at Lake Texoma with the Paleo Society of Austin, so I should have some idea of how well I can do.

Mulch29

Hey Bonedaddy!

That sounds great, and I would love to hunt Zolfo because I always hunt Arcadia/Brownsville area. I have a kayak, I’m also down to scuba. Please  keep me posted!

PODIGGER

Sounds like a good idea! I would be interested in hunting the Zolfo Springs area.  Having only started hunting fossils this year I have not had the opportunity to dig in Zolfo Springs.  I am always ready for a new adventure and it would be great to meet some other Florida hunters.

CousinLarry

Mark me down! I'm in Palm Harbor and always down for a hunt.

Tim Bob
On 10/22/2019 at 6:38 PM, Bone Daddy said:

So, who wants to get together and go fossil hunting on this Peace River this season?

If the weather and scheduling allows, I would be happy to show up and engage in a group hunt - just to put some faces with the names I see in the forum, and do some networking, share tips, compare notes, etc.

I have an extra sifter and an extra kayak (with paddle and life jacket) I can bring.

I imagine that a weekend would be best, given that a lot of people work and go to school.

As far as a place goes, the first place that comes to mind is Zolfo Springs. It sits in the "middle" of the Peace (not too far south or north), it has a nice/safe park with ramp (Pioneer Park), and the fossil-hunting anywhere along that stretch of the river is pretty good - I never come home empty handed from Zolfo. Other places that come to mind are Gardner and Arcadia. I like Gardner also and I need to revisit that Miocene exposure there, but the local wildlife can be a bit wild for some people's tastes (to put it diplomatically). There's also Wauchula, which I have hunted a couple of times with mixed results. I've never hunted Arcadia, so I can't speak on there from first-hand experience.

As for timing of the trip, I think it would be great to wait until the river levels are ideal and the weather is nice - not hot (like it is now) and not frigid like it will be in dead of winter.

Input, ideas, etc - reply here.  :)

I would love to join in. I'm sort of a newbie but I love the thrill of the hunt. Count me in. I have my own equipment and yak.

Tim Bob

I'm new to the forum even I became a member a couple of years ago. I had a hard time navigating around the site. I'm up for any trip in the Peace or creeks. I have zero creek experience and usually just walk in at Wauchula. I have all my own equipment including a kayak.

jcbshark
2 hours ago, Tim Bob said:

I'm new to the forum even I became a member a couple of years ago. I had a hard time navigating around the site. I'm up for any trip in the Peace or creeks. I have zero creek experience and usually just walk in at Wauchula. I have all my own equipment including a kayak.

Glad to see you join Tim, welcome aboard :)

digit

We've done a few of these trips in the past and had a good attendance of members from the Florida area. We even got forum-founder @Cris and @addicted2fossils (Wild Kyle) to make the trip down from northern Florida. In the past we've been fortunate enough to borrow kayaks from @Sacha (John) who's heart is as big as his truck. ;) Assuming we are in town and not traveling during the date that is chosen for another TFF meet-and-greet, Tammy and I would love to see some old faces and put some new faces to familiar names.

Cheers.

-Ken

grandpa

Sounds like good times - meeting good friends, making new ones, and doing fun things!  (I think there's a beer commercial in there somewhere. :P)

White Feather

Wow, this sounds great, please add me to the "possible" list to meet up. Always depends on if my Ministry has an event or am house and pet sitting. would be great to meet all that attend! With some of my back and knee issues the more I can sit in low water and dig the better...lol

VLLopez1017

We are brand new here, new to forums too... we will have kayaks after Christmas, however are open November - December for adventures on peace river  zolfo springs areas if anyone can help us out.  We are about 2 hrs away.  Would be husband and myself and would like any tips, tricks, suggestions, etc.  We have started getting our equipment (sifter, small shovel,  snorkel, mask) together.  Consider us baby birds!  Will be on a group outing November 9th with a fossil club we joined, if any of you are part of this would love to meet you there as well.

digit

A local fossil club is a great way to start learning about Florida fossils and fossil hunting activities. Another suggestion would be to do an internet search for "florida fossil hunting" you'll see a few options for going out on guided hunts to places where there is productive gravel. You'll learn technique and have an expert there to identify your fossils (and those curious rocks that turn out NOT to be fossils). ;)

Hopefully, we get a cooperative river level this season and we find a free weekend date that a majority of the local TFF members can attend and we have another great outing. It's a great chance to meet some local fossil hunters and have a great day out in the river.

Cheers.

-Ken

Reebs

I would love to join, count me in! 

digit

Would be great to get a large and diverse turn-out. I just checked the river level and it is still a couple feet high to get into a variety of spots. With any luck we'll be done with big storms for this season and the groundwater can continue to drop taking the river levels with it. We need to find a time between end of year holidays and also when the temps are not ebbing at their lowest in late January to early February when only the most bold (crazy?) go out--yeah, you know who I'm talking about. :P

When the season gets started in earnest we need to get motivated and pick a few dates and see when we might get a good attendance. The TFF group outings are a great lot of fun and I'm looking forward to the next Florida group hunt.

Cheers.

-Ken

Bone Daddy

My schedule is a hot mess, so it's very difficult for me to plan things in advance. More often than not, I will make the final call to go fossil-hunting the night before I go. It's quite possible that I will help plan this thing, be all excited about it, and then not be able to go on the planned date. I hope this is not the case because I would really like to do this, so I guess we'll just wait and see what happens. I am watching the gauges and as soon as the river drops to acceptable levels, I want to go again - whether that actually happens remains to be seen.

White Feather

I think many of us understand and just hope when you decide we can join...

VLLopez1017

100% what he said :-)

Bone Daddy
12 hours ago, White Feather said:

I think many of us understand and just hope when you decide we can join...

Well, I just started this thread. I am not making the call on when the actual date will be. I figure that will be a consenus decision between the majority of members. I'll try to go on whatever date gets agreed on.  :)

digit

And if a significant segment of TFF members can't make it on the primary date decided upon that works for the majority, I'm sure we can make it a double header and have a pick up date for those who could not make the primary.

Cheers.

-Ken