Fossils stolen from KU’s Natural History Museum

Oxytropidoceras

That article says they don’t know what fossils were stolen? How did they know fossils were stolen at all then?

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

5 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

That article says they don’t know what fossils were stolen? How did they know fossils were stolen at all then?

They know what WAS in the case and the lock was broken. I do think it’s odd they aren’t saying what was stolen. Groups like this forum might run across them. 

6 hours ago, Xiphactinus said:

They know what WAS in the case and the lock was broken. I do think it’s odd they aren’t saying what was stolen. Groups like this forum might run across them. 

Let me get this straight.  They know how many fossils are missing but not what they were.   It sounds like another episode of David Letterman's "Museum of the hard to Believe."

All we can do is keep our eyes open for three fossils that seem out of place.  

Update link:

"The three fossils stolen from the University of Kansas Natural History Museum over the weekend are plant fossils that visitors were allowed to touch when on display."

"The plant fossils that were stolen are a petrified palm stem, a leaf compression of a Ginkgo tree and a cycad-like plant called Zamites. The largest of the three fossils is about 5 inches wide"

https://www2.ljworld.com/news/public-safety/2019/oct/23/stolen-ku-fossils-were-plant-items-that-visitors-could-touch-at-museum/

• I found this Informative 1

On 10/26/2019 at 7:00 AM, Scylla said:

No video at the Museum? If the public was allowed to touch them, then they were probably easily replaced examples.

I agree. I don't understand the point of allowing the general public to touch fossils, with the exception of the blind. They could just post a sign that says "They feel like rocks. If you want to know how it feels to touch one, go outside and pick up a rock. The shiny ones feel like smooth rock. The sandy-looking ones feel like rough rock. The coprolites feel like excreted rock." If someone wants to feel a fossil they should let them buy one at the museum gift shop, or if they don't have a gift shop just tell them to buy one online. If someone wants to feel one they should have them sign up for the upcoming field trip. Every time I see a great fossil I want to own it. I don't want to fondle its nooks and crannies. The only reason to touch a fossil is to see if you can rip it from its mount and stick it in your pocket, and that's exactly what someone did. They should have known it would happen. I would be surprised if it didn't happen.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The fossils are estimated at 650 dollars? Waouh, that is a museum that doesn't at the expense.

~~~~~~~~~~~~〇~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Warmest greetings from Kumamoto、 Japan

19 minutes ago, David in Japan said:

The fossils are estimated at 650 dollars? Waouh, that is a museum that doesn't at the expense.

Of course they're worth 650 dollars. All the fossils I have if I am a museum curator, are worth at least 200 dollars each, even the $10 ones. Don't forget, they have to replace not only the specimens ($60), but also any damaged display mounts, bases and materials ($100), and the highly skilled labor to create replacements for those displays and to mount the fossils ($500). The parts are cheap. It's the labor that will kill you. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

10 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

The coprolites feel like excreted rock." 

:heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

10 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

don't understand the point of allowing the general public to touch fossils, with the exception of the blind. They could just post a sign that says "They feel like rocks.

Well I've been to the Black Hills Institute and Scool of Mines in SD  and they have a large bone for people to touch.  It's a great idea and everyone wants to touch it especially kids.  Remember not everyone has had that opportunity and most dont look at it has a rock but a cool fossil bone of a dinosaur.  Good remembrance for visitors.

• I found this Informative 4

6 minutes ago, TyBoy said:

Well I've been to the Black Hills Institute and Scool of Mines in SD  and they have a large bone for people to touch.  It's a great idea and everyone wants to touch it especially kids.  Remember not everyone has had that opportunity and most dont look at it has a rock but a cool fossil bone of a dinosaur.  Good remembrance for visitors.

Oh so true I've been there and everyone wants the experience to touch a real dinosaur fossil.  

• I found this Informative 2

The younger the child, the more tactile they can be and touch is an important sense for them. The infants need to put the fossils in their mouths. :bone::ighappy:

• I found this Informative 2

On 31/10/2019 at 8:52 AM, TyBoy said:

Agreed . They did the same for the new museum in Lyon, France . Honestly that's great for the kids . They just love it. And it's not like they don't have another zillion in their reserves . It's just a matter of choosing the right ones to be displayed (big and heavy!).