Xenarthran mandible?

garyc

I found this today on the Brazos River in SE Texas. At first I thought it was a chunk of a vertebra. After washing some mud off I was surprised to see teeth with roots extending to the broken ends of a mandible. Based on the shape of the teeth I think it is a xenarthran, but which one???

78214046-5F07-44BC-8FC5-463EBDED3703.jpeg

FDEC228B-AFE8-454C-9EE0-68F971114D7C.jpeg

:default_faint: Rare for Texas; great find, Gary.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I’m not familiar enough w Holmesina incisors to say much for certain, but here are a couple of my sloth jaws for comparison.  Hard to find with any teeth remaining, so you made a good find.

9AE39598-61E5-418F-BEFC-11D96C330C6B.jpeg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

i'm thinking sloth gary but let's see what others have to say... regardless that's an awesome find!:yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

I believe that it is a mylodontid sloth symphysis.  Mylodontids have caniniform front teeth which is what I think you see in the fossil.  Family Mylodontidae includes Thinobadistes sp. (Late Miocene) and Glossotherium sp. and Paramylodon sp. (Late Pliocene to Pleistocene).

slothparamylodonteethjuvenile.JPG.50333a56ecb264ec250c1d8a7bb35810.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Maybe if you look around the place you found it you can find other pieces from the same specimen. Great find!

• I found this Informative 1

Gary,

WOW!!!  And that from someone who has a couple of these. I am having trouble orientating that tooth. How long is it??? Nice find

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

@Shellseeker I think both of the teeth are broken flush with the jar line. The best measurement I can get is about 2 inches per tooth. It’s interesting that one tooth has a cavity that goes all the way through to the root

image.jpg

• 2 weeks later...