PPE used around the world - suggestions please!

GorgonGal

I've been doing preparation for four years now and have tried various masks but none seem to work for me. I've used the disposable ones and the hard ones, but since I use a microscope for preparation all they seem to do is restrict me or send all the air I'm breathing out upwards and steam up the eye pieces! I have a pretty narrow nose so I sit pretty close to my microscope. I've found when I do wear the disposable masks I end up pulling it under my nose - pretty much defeats the purpose. I was just wondering what others around the world use? I know it's dangerous to not wear a mask, and that's what I'm currently doing. 

For ear protection I use some noise cancelling headphones - best investment I ever made! They are a million times better than earplugs or earphones in my experience, and you can still hear when people are talking to you. 

Any general notes or suggestions on PPE used around the world would be great! 

Tiffany

Uncovering the late Permian one fossil at a time 

I know 3M makes a non-disposable mask with the filter bays on the side like this:

3m-half-mask-respirators-62023ha1-c-64_1

Not sure if this type qualifies as being among the "hard" ones you have used and found suboptimal. 

That being said, you might be able to avoid the use of masks entirely if you have a blast box with a good vacuum/suction system attached. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

8 minutes ago, Kane said:

I know 3M makes a non-disposable mask with the filter bays on the side like this:

3m-half-mask-respirators-62023ha1-c-64_1

Not sure if this type qualifies as being among the "hard" ones you have used and found suboptimal. 

That being said, you might be able to avoid the use of masks entirely if you have a blast box with a good vacuum/suction system attached. 

Luckily I work with micro vertebrates so I don't make a huge amount of dust. Those look awesome, I love the pink! But they would get in the way of my microscope, as would a blast box I'm afraid :zzzzscratchchin: but I think some kind of extractor would definitely work better than no mask at all! Thanks for the ideas! 

Tiffany

Uncovering the late Permian one fossil at a time 

I have that one and it is terrible to use with a scope. I have not found anything better than the disposable ones

I do most of my microscopic airscribing in my sandblasting box (with suction turned on, of course) with the microscope on top of it.  No PPE needed.