Mschaecer81

Fossil Sites

Mschaecer81

Look for places to hunt on hwy 2 from Rockford to Dixo as I'm in area for a day and want to kill time looking for fossils.  Any helps would be appreciated.  Thanks! 

Mike.  

P.s.  I'm fine with you want to tag up with me.  It'll be nice to have a partner to show me around.

Mschaecer81

And what glass company in dixon I should call ahead?

Praefectus

I know there are a couple quarries in the region where you can collect Ordovician fossils. Fossil hunting is restricted to certain days that are planned well in advance. I recommend joining one of the local fossil clubs to see when they have field trips planned (Earth Science Club of Northern Illinois - ESCONI or Rock River Valley Gem and Mineral Society - RRVGMS). 

connorp

There are a few Ordovician roadcuts near Byron, just south of Rockford.

gieserguy

Sorry for the late reply, I just saw this post. I visited a roadcut along IL State Route 2 over the summer. It is part of the Ordovician Platteville Formation. Here are coordinates you can plug into google maps: 6909-6979 N State Route 2

It's a pretty fun site, especially since I had never really hunted for anything but Carboniferous material up to that point. There are some interesting fossils that can be found there, with mollusks making a majority, like gastropods and cephalopods.

IMG_5360-compressed.thumb.JPG.8f14fd0f6667688167924d99e17630d2.JPG

IMG_5359-compressed.thumb.JPG.5c81957974232a3c14459cbe22521571.JPG

IMG_5361-compressed.thumb.JPG.a6409bcad61183006d5b58058cb879dc.JPG

gieserguy

IMG_5358-compressed.thumb.JPG.7322c7ba193b42ea86b0793855556897.JPG

As you can see, vegetation (luckily) isn't too much of an issue, but there was some plant at the time that had just gone to seed that had hooklike seeds that absolutely covered my socks, so I'd recommend boots or some kind of shoe that covers more than a gym shoe.

IMG_5363-compressed.thumb.JPG.859b25b9ff5df871fce7b2f6d54ea02d.JPG