Max-fossils

Some very beautiful finds! I love how all the bones are brown and the shells are white. Makes it easy to distinguish between the two.:heartylaugh: and that mammoth tooth:default_faint:!

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

3 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

After a little less than 2 hours of hunting, I stumbled upon something absolutely incredible... 

5db2d386915c1_IMG_8617(1).thumb.JPG.aaab59497c00d0da108ef100a9848ab1.JPG

A complete mammoth molar! I just couldn't believe it... it was laying there right out in the open, easy for anyone to spot. Somehow I was the first to find it. I was screaming for a good 5 minutes like a little girl that just got the toy princess castle she had dreamed of for years. This is almost definitely my best find ever in all my years of fossil hunting!

Incredible find.

I heard that Sara actually found the tooth first. Maybe Sara should become an official Forum member so that she might enter the tooth into the October Fossil of the Month competition. Help Sara enter the tooth into the contest since she does not know how to operate a camera. She only knows how to pose for it.

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Hi,

4 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

Here's another pretty cool find too! This is the premolar of a red deer Cervus elaphus, but looking at how the root is missing (and not broken off) I think this is a deciduous tooth. Someone suggested that this one never erupted from the jaw. What are your thoughts?

IMG_8664.thumb.JPG.b7c2fba8afb2445b5845eba826a588f9.JPG

I am OK with a deciduous tooth.

Very nice founds ! Contrats to you an Sara !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Great fossils! Especially the mammoth tooth, have you stabilised it is soaking it in non salt water then a Paraloid mix^_^

5 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Max great finds and I really love that tooth. The Fossil Gods were good to you.

They must have had all my prayers hit their inbox at once :P  Thanks Ralph!

5 hours ago, LordTrilobite said:

Some really nice finds! Be sure to take good care of that wonderful Mammoth tooth. Are you planning on desalinating or glueing it to prevent it from breaking into pieces?

Thanks Olof! Of course, just like for the other bones, the tooth is currently in a small water tub and will stay there for a good moment. After that I will probably cover it with a mixture of wood glue and water (it's quite basic, but according to Bram Langeveld it works wonders and so far I haven't been disappointed. I only use it on my very nice pieces though, out of laziness mostly).

5 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Well done to Sara and to you, Max.

What a day, some great finds and congratulations on the mammoth tooth. :)

Thanks Adam! We appreciate it :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

4 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Well that is one day you will never forget! :yay-smiley-1:

You got that right!

4 hours ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Some very beautiful finds! I love how all the bones are brown and the shells are white. Makes it easy to distinguish between the two.:heartylaugh: and that mammoth tooth:default_faint:!

Thanks! Yeah, the shells are very easy to distinguish from the bones. But that wasn't gonna cause much difficulty even if they were the same color. However the bones are exactly the same color as random iron concretions everywhere on the beach, and the fossil shells can sometimes be hard to distinguish from sun-bleached modern shells. :( 

3 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

congrats. excited for you

3 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

Congrats!  Amazing finds!!

2 hours ago, Vieira said:

Amazing finds.

I love the mammoth tooth. Thanks for sharing and congratulations:fistbump:

Thanks guys! :D 

2 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Incredible find.

I heard that Sara actually found the tooth first. Maybe Sara should become an official Forum member so that she might enter the tooth into the October Fossil of the Month competition. Help Sara enter the tooth into the contest since she does not know how to operate a camera. She only knows how to pose for it.

Thanks! She did indeed, but pretended not to see it at first and "accidentally" guide me to it :ninja: 

I just talked to her and she said that for now she should stay under my account until she travels to her next destination (Wyoming, with @thelivingdead531!), so I'll help her submit it as a FOTM entry. You're definitely right about her being great at posing though:

IMG_8620.thumb.JPG.fb43fd6e2499d16063c5dd7cb627e11d.JPG

1 hour ago, Coco said:

I am OK with a deciduous tooth.

Very nice founds ! Contrats to you an Sara !

Merci Coco! :) 

1 hour ago, will stevenson said:

Great fossils! Especially the mammoth tooth, have you stabilised it is soaking it in non salt water then a Paraloid mix^_^

Thanks Will; and as I said to LordTrilobite just above: just like for the other bones, the tooth is currently in a small water tub and will stay there for a good moment. After that I will probably cover it with a mixture of wood glue and water

• I found this Informative 2

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

1 minute ago, sharkdoctor said:

Congrats on the spectacular day! Sara seems to be an amazing good luck charm!

She really is! Thanks!

Max Derème

Such an unbelievable trip, Max!!!  Congratulations on all of the finds - what a great mix of invertebrate and vertebrate material!!!

(By the way - I would definitely also be screaming for 5 minutes if I found a mammoth tooth like that!!!)

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2019 at 1:06 PM, Monica said:

Such an unbelievable trip, Max!!!  Congratulations on all of the finds - what a great mix of invertebrate and vertebrate material!!!

(By the way - I would definitely also be screaming for 5 minutes if I found a mammoth tooth like that!!!)

Not sure why I'm only seeing your reply now, but thanks a lot Monica, I really appreciate your comments! :) 

• I found this Informative 1

Max Derème

Great report Max, and congrats on the Mammoth tooth :yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

growing old is mandatory but growing up is optional.

That tooth is wonderfully complete and not too much eroded, your bones and shells are also neat finds, congratulations Max.:default_clap2:

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 10/25/2019 at 7:23 AM, Max-fossils said:

And finally, some pictures of my best find, the mammoth molar! From the woolly mammoth Mammuthus primigenius. I'm so happy with it! 

Wow,  just walking the beach!!! Exercise and fantastic finds.  Life is good :yay-smiley-1:

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

On 11/8/2019 at 7:40 AM, Manticocerasman said:

Great report Max, and congrats on the Mammoth tooth :yay-smiley-1::yay-smiley-1:

Thank you Kevin!

On 11/8/2019 at 1:11 PM, fifbrindacier said:

That tooth is wonderfully complete and not too much eroded, your bones and shells are also neat finds, congratulations Max.:default_clap2:

I know, the condition of the tooth is great! Thanks!

3 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

That mammoth tooth is outstanding!! :envy:You are very lucky. Great trip and thanks for sharing! 

Thanks a lot for your nice comment! Really appreciate it :) 

3 hours ago, Shellseeker said:

Wow,  just walking the beach!!! Exercise and fantastic finds.  Life is good :yay-smiley-1:

It sure is! Thanks :) 

Max Derème

I love that description of how excited you were when you found it :megdance:

I know that feeling! You can’t believe your eyes, you do a double take. You pick it up and then...... the celebration! 

Congratulations! :yay-smiley-1:

10 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

I love that description of how excited you were when you found it :megdance:

I know that feeling! You can’t believe your eyes, you do a double take. You pick it up and then...... the celebration! 

Congratulations! :yay-smiley-1:

Haha, thanks a lot! While I know exactly what the feeling is like, I find it surprisingly hard to put it into words... I'm glad to see though that you know exactly what I'm referring to! :D 

Max Derème