Most amazing 1 hour drive by at Big Brook

hokietech96

Hi. I went to go see a client yesterday and realized I was 20 minutes from Big Brook. So I decided to swing by for a hour or two. I went to the same spot that I found the plesiosaur tooth last week. I ended up getting nay staying a hour. 30 minutes into my quick trip I found this:

F309A5BE-A3BB-4DC6-A602-7AEB6626CF13.thumb.jpeg.dfd7dbe7e03f9b1bd94832850742301f.jpeg065F3219-BBF1-41BC-814B-A6449B893F05.thumb.jpeg.e21eccd51aadb18708eda911492f8f9e.jpegA3298A6D-9BCA-4954-BB73-2989F064B16A.thumb.jpeg.ff08628554b3e6fa5369e602a2077547.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Some of my other finds. I believe that bottom tooth is sawfish.  Please correct me if I’m wrong

35516B32-CCC0-497F-99C4-27CDAEB3DC50.thumb.jpeg.a0d5ef22f83015d143bf1ab40e22087f.jpeg

• FossilDAWG changed the title to Most amazing 1 hour drive by at Big Brook

Great stuff for a half hour

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Congratulations - that's a lot of material for such a short visit. That mosasaur tooth is an especially big prize. Nice going!

Thanks for all the nice comments.  My little spot that i found everything last Friday and yesterday is literally is 4-5 square foot area.  We had some heavy rain a couple time over the past couple weeks so I think a lot of stuff is getting trapped in this area.  I only started going to Big Brook in August so I know how lucky I have been.  Very excited.  Everyone here in the forum has been amazing with help and patience.

This is such a nubie questions, but do i do anything to the tooth or do I leave it as is?  I was reading online about polishing and all this other stuff about cleaning.  I like the look as is 

3 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

This is such a nubie questions, but do i do anything to the tooth or do I leave it as is?  I was reading online about polishing and all this other stuff about cleaning.  I like the look as is 

I think you may have answered your own question: "I like the look as is." :) 

The risk of polishing is that it can sometimes sacrifice diagnostic detail for aesthetic appeal. But if you like it as-is, it is your collection and how you want it.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

57 minutes ago, hokietech96 said:

Thanks for your opinion. I like the natural look. 

Love that mosasaur tooth!

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

3 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

Congrats.  Nice teeth. I'm planning on going back there before it gets too cold. I've sprayed some fossils with hairspray and even a clear coat in satin or gloss. Hairspray is more reversible I think if you want to remove it later. 

I would suggest not to do anything to the vertebrate fossils. Some inverts need stabilization though.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

7 hours ago, hokietech96 said:

Thanks for all the nice comments.  My little spot that i found everything last Friday and yesterday is literally is 4-5 square foot area.  We had some heavy rain a couple time over the past couple weeks so I think a lot of stuff is getting trapped in this area.  I only started going to Big Brook in August so I know how lucky I have been.  Very excited.  Everyone here in the forum has been amazing with help and patience.

Nice haul! :dinothumb:
Good to hear you found a nice little productive spot! :) Rain does tend to reveal new fossils and material to hunt.

It’s also good to hear that The Fossil Forum and it’s members have been helpful to you! This community is one of the best, if not the best, on the internet. 

Keep finding the good stuff and bringing it here for us to see! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

On 10/25/2019 at 6:38 PM, The Jersey Devil said:

I would suggest not to do anything to the vertebrate fossils. Some inverts need stabilization though.

Agree. Really just leave alone. Tinker with low quality  mass fossils that you don't care too much about. I've used hairspray on some trilobites I found at penn dixie and some unimportant teeth that had low luster.