Sonyamarcou

I’m not sure what I’m looking at  is it a fossil? Is it a Deteriorated fossil. If it is a fossil, how should I proceed? Posting other pics in comments. 

27BD8513-0C3B-4D24-8221-48FAED96C264.jpeg

I've seen cracks in rocks that contain large colonies of tabulate coral that look like this from displaced carbonate (travertine essentially).

Ok so here goes. It’s so confusing. I get conflicting answers about what formation I’m in. Some say Satsop formation, Willapa hills, montesano formation. I’m thinking it’s willapa hills. Which is early Eocene. I live and found my fossil up the west Satsop river. We weren’t on the river. We went hunting in the forest around there. I’ve found clam fossils, coral, and I think a jellyfish. We r also about 10 miles from the Lincoln formation.   I’ve only been looking for fossils for probably a year. I tried doing research to Become more informed about our area.  it’s a little confusing for me. Not really sure what I’m looking at.  when I find a fossil, Is it supposed to be a hard hard and dark area or are they sometimes soft and muddy I’m just not sure 

3 hours ago, Sonyamarcou said:

I’ve found clam fossils, coral, and I think a jellyfish.

A look at the coral might help determine the age to some degree.

On 10/26/2019 at 6:05 PM, Rockwood said:

A look at the coral might help determine the age to some degree.

These are other fossils I have found in the same area. More to follow 

B1E1419B-B9EE-4675-B9FD-BF011595C10B.jpeg

568CB537-674B-468C-B568-EF2199F5E27E.jpeg

The first two could be trace fossils or concretions. They don't look like coral. 

The gastropods and bivalves are most likely tertiary. That would eliminate my tabulate coral idea, but I believe the concept of displaced carbonate from weathering fossils may still be accurate.

On 10/25/2019 at 11:04 AM, connorp said:

Where was it collected? What age?

Do u have any idea on what it might be?

14 hours ago, Sonyamarcou said:

Do u have any idea on what it might be?

Hi, I'm in Illinois, quite far away. I have seen and collected fossil shrimp in person and even though sometimes they are indistinct I don't see shrimp in your specimen. I may be wrong, but from just the photos it's hard to tell. The reason you've been asked for the location is that the geological stratigraphy of Washington state is extremely complex and variable. If you walk 10 miles in a straight line anywhere in Washington you may go through several different geological formations. Knowing the formation can eliminate all the fossils that are not found in that formation which makes it easier to figure out what species a specimen may be if it's not immediately obvious. We don't need to know exactly where you found it if you can tell us the formation. However, if you don't know or can't determine the formation, you'll need to tell us the name of a town or road junction within a mile or two of where you found it so we can determine the formation. We don't want to know the EXACT location for the same reason that many people don't want to reveal where they have found something so others don't rush in and pick it clean and mess it up. We are all aware of what can happen, and a few of us, including me, have made that mistake in the past. If you Google "geology of washington state" you'll see what I mean. It looks like a load of laundry in the machine.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

7 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Hi, I'm in Illinois, quite far away. I have seen and collected fossil shrimp in person and even though sometimes they are indistinct I don't see shrimp in your specimen. I may be wrong, but from just the photos it's hard to tell. The reason you've been asked for the location is that the geological stratigraphy of Washington state is extremely complex and variable. If you walk 10 miles in a straight line anywhere in Washington you may go through several different geological formations. Knowing the formation can eliminate all the fossils that are not found in that formation which makes it easier to figure out what species a specimen may be if it's not immediately obvious. We don't need to know exactly where you found it if you can tell us the formation. However, if you don't know or can't determine the formation, you'll need to tell us the name of a town or road junction within a mile or two of where you found it so we can determine the formation. We don't want to know the EXACT location for the same reason that many people don't want to reveal where they have found something so others don't rush in and pick it clean and mess it up. We are all aware of what can happen, and a few of us, including me, have made that mistake in the past. If you Google "geology of washington state" you'll see what I mean. It looks like a load of laundry in the machine.

Hahaha thank you! I laugh because it’s almost impossible for me to determine the formation where I have been searching. The closest crossroads are middle Satsop / west Satsop. I think it’s about 1.5 miles off the west Satsop in montesano wa.  

1 minute ago, Sonyamarcou said:

Hahaha thank you! I laugh because it’s almost impossible for me to determine the formation where I have been searching. The closest crossroads are middle Satsop / west Satsop. I think it’s about 1.5 miles off the west Satsop in montesano wa.  

That should be helpful. Those who are familiar with the formations found at that location may be able to help. When I looked at the geological stratigraphy in that area my first thought was "Oh boy, this is going to be rough!". If someone thinks they may have an idea they will probably ask if you found it lying on the surface, or found it in topsoil, or the side of an exposure, etc. Some things are not as easy to identify as others, and of course, the people who live in the area and have the know-how will always be your best source of information.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thank you so much for the information. It’s definitely hard to figure things out. So u don’t see the tail part to the left, middle of the rock? Wish me luck in finding another fossil discovery. I enjoy the hunt. Lol