Debris from Pollen Slide

REW01

What do y'all think these are? They're bits of debris from a slide I was working on. All I can really tell you is that they were photographed at 40X magnification, scale bar 50 microns. This set of slides is across the Paleocene to Eocene, but I unfortunately don't know what rock this single slide sample is from. Sample is from the Hanna Basin in Wyoming.

No4.jpg

No3.jpg

No2.jpg

No1.jpg

I did think they looked like some sort of clump of cells. Not right to be leaf cuticle but not something I recognized.

I will do some research on diatom chains/coenobial algae and see what I can come up with.

First piece looks like a stamen (pollen catcher)

Next two look like plant fragments, possibly grass.

Third piece looks like reptile skin shed.

Nice pictures.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

3 hours ago, ynot said:

First piece looks like a stamen (pollen catcher)

Next and last look like plant fragments, possibly grass.

Third piece looks like reptile skin shed.

Nice pictures.

Thanks! I wasn’t thinking those two were grass, as they don’t have cells of the right shape. Monocot cuticle has elongate cells with blunt ends and even undulations. I didn’t see any cells/structures in these that said “definite plant” to me. 

What makes you say plant fragment/grass? Would a piece of a skin shed be that tiny still even magnified at 40x? None of this stuff was truly visible without magnification. I just want to educate myself here. 

2 hours ago, REW01 said:

Thanks! I wasn’t thinking those two were grass, as they don’t have cells of the right shape. Monocot cuticle has elongate cells with blunt ends and even undulations. I didn’t see any cells/structures in these that said “definite plant” to me. 

What makes you say plant fragment/grass? Would a piece of a skin shed be that tiny still even magnified at 40x? None of this stuff was truly visible without magnification. I just want to educate myself here. 

I should have put a (?) on those as it was  My first impression on the pieces.

I am not a botanist or herpetologist, but I do look at a lot of different things.

That being said, there are many differing cellular structures in plants and those look like thin sections to My eyes.

And for the shed idea, there are different. scale patterns on different parts of the bodies of different reptiles. Maybe from the tip of a tail or a finger/toe.  But again that is just the first impression I get from these.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

On 10/27/2019 at 11:29 AM, marguy said:

for 1st picture, see elater

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elater

On 10/27/2019 at 11:36 AM, marguy said:

I think you may be on the right track with at least one of these. Thanks for the input! More stuff for me to research.