Ruger9a

Hello group.  I just wanted to share some photos of a Mastodon Americanus tooth I purchased and detailed.  I've included the before and after photos.  There are no enhancements to this fossil, just a lite coat of wax. 

Tooth before.jpg

Tooth after.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Thanks for the response.  That was the description on the tooth as advertised.  I asked the seller if he had any additional information and he said it was found as labeled in part of an old, large estate sale which included many fossils.  I have a Gomphothere tooth and it doesn't look like this tooth.  I research it and from what I found it didn't contradict the description.  How can you tell the difference between the two other than by the size and number of crown humps...if you don't have a location and period?  I want to make sure I have my collection correctly identified, so any information you can provide will be helpful.    

Here is a comparison of the two. When I think of mastodon, I think of paired cusps that sometimes form a ridge while gomphothere have rounded cusps that don’t always form symmetrical pairs.

24727928-E1A7-43BD-9616-695647BF5B53.jpeg

5C0B861C-F375-426D-A46E-402D4CD43AF3.jpeg

Thanks, I see what you mean.  My tooth doesn't quite have the symmetry or the closeness of the cusps as the illustration above.  There are a lot of misidentified teeth on the web according to this chart.  I'm beginning to wonder if the teeth below are incorrectly identified as well.  The documentation and my research says they are gomphothere, do you concur?  

DSCN2474.JPG

DSCN2497.JPG