-Andy-

Hi all, I was recently offered this tooth from late Cretaceous of Orensburg, Russia. Most likely Gaisky City District.

I can't figure out if it's a Polycotylid plesiosaur or Pterosaur tooth. The overall shape is closer to pterosaur than plesiosaur. However, I am not aware of pterosaur having wrinkling like that, nor do I know of pterosaur teeth being found there.

What are your thoughts on this? Thank you.

06.jpg

05.jpg

04.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

1 minute ago, RuMert said:

Taking into account that Gai quarry features marine fauna remains, its 99% plesiosaur

Isn't that a bit strong, considering the percentage of pterosaurs that were piscivorous ?

Ulyanovsk region, where I used to collect, is the same Tethys ocean, albeit earlier - abundant ichthyosaur and plesiosaur remains, but only a couple of pterosaurs in 200 years. So 99 to 1 is a good bet I guess:)

• I found this Informative 3

32 minutes ago, RuMert said:

only a couple of pterosaurs

But they have been found there. So it does happen... my vote is for pterosaur..is the base oval? If I’m not mistaken pterosaurs are oval and plesiosaur are more round...

• I found this Informative 1

Interesting... My Russian contact says it's a Polycotylid plesiosaur. My friend who collects Polycotylid skulls also said this tooth matches the teeth on his

However, my friend who digs in Kem Kem said it's a pterosaur tooth based on the morphology, another friend who collects marine reptile and pterosaur teeth said the same.

Guess I will have to get more pics once it arrives

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I dont have answers but...

Primarily a Marine Locality..

How many Pterosaur teeth have that type of ornimatation? Have not seen any..

How many Russian Plesiosaurs teeth have striations? Lots and typical 

• I found this Informative 4

On 28/10/2019 at 7:35 PM, Troodon said:

I dont have answers but...

Primarily a Marine Locality..

How many Pterosaur teeth have that type of ornimatation? Have not seen any..

How many Russian Plesiosaurs teeth have striations? Lots and typical 

I agree with you in general. Playing devil's advocate though, there are some Kem Kem pterosaurs with this striation as well

pterosaur 1.jpg

pterosaur 2.jpg

pterosaur 3.jpg

pterosaur 4.PNG

• I found this Informative 3

• 3 weeks later...

The tooth arrived. After comparing it to my other teeth, I've concluded that it is an Elasmosauridae indet. tooth.

P1180707.JPG

P1180707z1.jpg

z.JPG

• I found this Informative 6

Agreed, looks like an Elasmosaurid because of the degree of labio-lingual compression. Great tooth, Andy!

The Tooth Fairy