What would be the best way to restore this crab concretion

mamlambo

Hi Everyone

I have two halves to a concretion that contains a good size crab. What would be the best way / product to get it restored and ready for prepping?

If there is already a thread, please point me in the direction as I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

@RJB@DLB

48966753792_eaf48424a4_k.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

@RJB is definitely a great resource for crab prepping. Maybe @Doctor Mud or @6ix would have some insight as well. They are our crab lovers from “down under”. :) 

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Hey @mamlambo, lovely looking concretion for sure!  With all that surounding rock you have a really good chance at some tippy tippy's!    I would 1st cut off lots of the top piece of rock in order to save hours of rock removal work.   For glueing that back together i would use a thick viscosity super glue.  Make sure you put glue onto everything that needs to be put back for this crab to be complete and not run into prep problems down the road and also glue the rock too. Make sure to coat the intire carapace shell on the opposing side with lots of glue.  Its gunna ooz out onto the carapace shell on the right side but that can be worked with and this will make sure you save all that beautiful shell material.   Use plenty of glue.  Glue is a pain to work through when prepping but its far more important to use too much than to not use enough!!!  I cant say the enough.  There will still be problems but just about anything can be fixed. 

I drew a line around the top piece of rock about 1 1/2 centemeters above the carapace and then cut slices into the rock with a 4 inch diamond blade.  And yes I was exstreamly nervous! 

SplitcrabB.JPG.d2f92acea3bae5a3c54734c1e5c5069d.JPG

With a small hammer and chisle I knocked off all the slices.  I didnt see any crab so I knew I was safe.  Very releaved to say the least!

SplitcrabC.JPG.0130ff32094ad8a24b4d392137c1e289.JPG

All glued up and put aside to cure. 

SplitcrabD.JPG.d6f80bdd5690b712fe4e6f7eedb8c024.JPG

and the finished crab.  

SplitcrabS.JPG.17250cda60d4fa3edef0dd3ccb78e08e.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

@RJB Thanks for all that info! I'm going to give it a go and do the slices like you did to save on the prep work, hope mine comes close to your end result. I will be well happy with that!

I think the tips should be in the concretion as I can't see anything sticking out the side at all :)

Thanks again!

2 hours ago, mamlambo said:

I think the tips should be in the concretion as I can't see anything sticking out the side at all

I wish you the best of luck.  Just remember, there will be some kind of problems no matter what  you do but just about anything can be fixed weather it be some fake rock or some repair on the crab itself.  Just take your time and dont prep if you get tired.   dont hesitate to ask for help if need be. 

RB

10 hours ago, mamlambo said:

Thanks @RJB Just ordered some Starbond Thick glue, hope 2oz is enough for this crab. Going to give it a good go

The concretion ive shown here is almost 10 inches across and I think a 2 oz bottle was more than enough.  Not sure what size the concretion you have is?  The best of luck to you and your prep.

RB

On 10/27/2019 at 1:20 AM, mamlambo said:

Hi Everyone

I have two halves to a concretion that contains a good size crab. What would be the best way / product to get it restored and ready for prepping?

If there is already a thread, please point me in the direction as I couldn't find it.

Thanks!

@RJB@DLB

48966753792_eaf48424a4_k.jpg

That con has some real potential I agree with what RJB said. Just make sure you clean the con real good before gluing back together I cant stress how important that part is. 

Thanks for everyone's help! I think I got it done. Made a video of the process, including finding the concretion if anyone wants to watch :)

• I found this Informative 2

Great job gluing those together!

they should prep out really nicely!

The shell/ Gastropod is Mauithoe insignis. Which gives a maximum age for the deposits as it first appeared about 15 million years ago. 

That sticky crab looks tough! At least you have many others and it will get easier. Those vein structures could be the remains of tube worms? It is common to find these and barnacles attaches to the crabs.

look forward to your future preps!

8 hours ago, mamlambo said:

Thanks for everyone's help! I think I got it done. Made a video of the process, including finding the concretion if anyone wants to watch :)

nice job those should come out really great.cant wait to see the progress.

5 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Great job gluing those together!

they should prep out really nicely!

The shell/ Gastropod is Mauithoe insignis. Which gives a maximum age for the deposits as it first appeared about 15 million years ago. 

That sticky crab looks tough! At least you have many others and it will get easier. Those vein structures could be the remains of tube worms? It is common to find these and barnacles attaches to the crabs.

look forward to your future preps!

Thanks for the ID on the shell, Mauithoe insignis looks to be exactly what I found! Yeah, I have a few other ones I can work on. It's been a good one to practise on. I'm thinking a micro-sandblaster would work well to get rid of that last layer of concretion so might pause of it a bit so I don't damage it. 

2 hours ago, DLB said:

nice job those should come out really great.cant wait to see the progress.

Thanks DLB, I'll keep you posted :)

Wow mamlambo, love your video's!! They are getting better and better, great shot of the concretion and the sunrise!!

Can't wait to see the next ones!!

Cephalopods rule!!

2 hours ago, fossisle said:

Wow mamlambo, love your video's!! They are getting better and better, great shot of the concretion and the sunrise!!

Can't wait to see the next ones!!

Thanks @fossisle! It's fun to make the videos, glad other people also enjoy them :) Found some good stuff the last two days so must compile a video. 2 new species for my collection!

Love your videos @mamlambo the editing just gets better and better! What is the software you use?

Also curious about your scribe of choice. Looking forward to seeing the big concretions prepped.

On 04/11/2019 at 7:48 AM, DLB said:

Just make sure you clean the con real good before gluing back together I cant stress how important that part is. 

Yes any small bits of rock or dirt in there can effect the fit.

Some of these concretions that have the natural break like this start to get calcite deposits in the fracture too that push the rock apart a few mm. 

7 hours ago, Doctor Mud said:

Love your videos @mamlambo the editing just gets better and better! What is the software you use?

Also curious about your scribe of choice. Looking forward to seeing the big concretions prepped.

Thanks @Doctor Mud! Glad you like the videos :) I just use iMovie on my mac, might spend some money on something more professional one day but for now it does what I need. 

I just have a CP9361 clone with a 2" tungsten stylus, very much beginner equipment. I don't want to spend too much in case I find I don't enjoy prepping but rather the finding!