Got More Prepped On My Xiphactinus

Xiphactinus

Is that the "down side" that is the show side? Did you clean all the way down to the bones, plaster, flip, and then bring home to clean the rock off until you reached the plaster? Or did you do it another way?

Do you have some photos of the dig?

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

Is that the "down side" that is the show side? Did you clean all the way down to the bones, plaster, flip, and then bring home to clean the rock off until you reached the plaster? Or did you do it another way?

Bowkill - yes, that is the bottom that is now showing. We cleaned down to the bones, poured plaster on, then burlap and plaster over that. Flip, clean off a bunch of the matrix, take home and do the fine cleaning. All that is left is plaster and bone. To tint the plaster, I dissolve some chalk in water and "paint" it on the plaster.

Oh yea....I'll try and post some dig pix tonight.

Thanks,

If you are ever up near Mankato KS stop by and I'll show you some of my stuff from the chalk, and around here.

-Aldo Leopold

Thanks,

If you are ever up near Mankato KS stop by and I'll show you some of my stuff from the chalk, and around here.

I will def. take you up on that! I saw your mosasaur in your gallery and am very jealous. We've never found one of those, and we sure have tried!

• 2 weeks later...

Bowkill - sorry for the delay - found this shot of the initial dig...I was shooting film then vs. digital, so I need to find the photos and do some scanning.

post-98-1205681088_thumb.jpg

Looks like you had some good help! Too bad those guys weren't a little bigger. Were you using some kind of glue? The chalk looks real white between the bones.

-Aldo Leopold

Looks like you had some good help! Too bad those guys weren't a little bigger. Were you using some kind of glue? The chalk looks real white between the bones.

I had awesome help! They more than pulled their weight. (I did wish they were a little bigger when it came time to flip the jackets!) No glue - the chalk was very, very light color right at the level of the fossil. I did harden the bone with dilute vinac, but nothing more than that.

Archived