Jurassic fossil bone

nala

I have found this partial bone into the jurassic (Portlandian) mud of Wimereux yesterday,is it possible to say anything else than fossil bone on it?

IMG_3555.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Possibly a lateral process from a plesiosaur vertebra. Almost certainly marine reptile in origin. 

Paul

• I found this Informative 3

On 10/27/2019 at 6:19 PM, Ludwigia said:

I can't say myself, but maybe if you show it to someone who knows his fishsauriers you might get an answer.

I love those technical terms that Roger uses. :heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 1

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Yes, the cross section confirms dorsal vertebra lateral process i.e. dorsal rib as Darren says.

Nice find. Now find some more.

Paul

• I found this Informative 3

51 minutes ago, paulgdls said:

dorsal vertebra lateral process i.e. dorsal rib

Thanks for the "i.e."I didn't get "rib" from "dorsal vertebra lateral process" until you spelled it out for me. :unsure:  

{BTW, no, I'm NOT being sarcastic, just ill-informed.  I blame it on the public education system here in Texas.}  :shrug:

• 9 months later...
On 10/29/2019 at 4:25 PM, jpc said:

I see a plesiosaur humerus or femur.  Fishsaurier, sorta.

I see the same @jpc saw.

Bumped into this old thread as I'm currently in Wimereux looking for fossils, but don't quite know where to look. Was this find made along the cliffs, or rather somewhere on the shelves, @nala? And on what side of Wimereux? That is, if you don't mind sharing?

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

On 10/31/2019 at 7:37 AM, paulgdls said:

Yes, the cross section confirms dorsal vertebra lateral process i.e. dorsal rib as Darren says.

Paul

Hmmm... Dorsal rib OR lateral process?  These are two very different things.  I am still thinking long bone, primarily due to the oval cross-section as well as the striated look of the widened end.  

On 10/31/2019 at 2:37 PM, paulgdls said:

Paul

Actually, yeah, you're probably right. I first read "dorsal process" as "dorsal spine", and the piece is obviously too thick for this. But rib sounds reasonable, and a lateral process on top of the vertebra would make equal sense.

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

you go to the pointe aux oies ,park is free,go to the left,look close to the cliff and on the beach,many people are hunting,and you need to have a lot of luck :)

15 hours ago, nala said:

you go to the pointe aux oies ,park is free,go to the left,look close to the cliff and on the beach,many people are hunting,and you need to have a lot of luck :)

Thanks for sharing! I guess I did get lucky yesterday, as I found quite a decent ichthyosaur vertebra within my first hour of searching. Today, further north up the coast, was not so lucky, however...