Fish/crocodile skeleton?

austinswamp

Good afternoon, I found these here today in Travis county, Texas after a good storm rolled through. I commonly find sea urchin fossils, shark teeth, and oysters from this creek. Thanks

ABC1DCD9-289B-4D6D-A266-E2B91621DC29.jpeg

30BB4DF1-69E4-4EA3-A967-6B1F99B8D4D2.jpeg

The first photo looks to me like the pyrite deposits typically found in e.g., Shoal Creek.  Sometimes they encrust fossils; but this does not appear to be associated with a fossil to me.

Now the 2nd photo is really interesting.  I'm not sure what that is.  It's interesting how it branches at the top and the bottom.  Some sort of ichnofossil I'm pretty sure; but what?

• I found this Informative 1

Cropped: 

30BB4DF1-69E4-4EA3-A967-6B1F99B8D4D2.jpeg.bd0111e358fa429fb65b4d700ba68ddc.jpeg

ABC1DCD9-289B-4D6D-A266-E2B91621DC29.jpeg.2a06139f60a7fde92a9846ab602b7d2c.jpeg

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

When I blow up the second picture it gets fuzzy but they kind of look like crinoid stem pieces to me....

The one on the end that is sectioned differently presents a case for a tabulate coral, something like aulopora.

Knowing the scale would be helpful.

45 minutes ago, austinswamp said:

The second fossil in question is roughly 3 1/2 feet long

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

The one on the end that is sectioned differently presents a case for a tabulate coral, something like aulopora.

Oops !

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

Knowing the scale would be helpful.

9256BB3D-14AD-412B-ADF0-C925FC6CC67B.png

5 hours ago, austinswamp said:

52C97AF2-3B0F-49B6-9E53-4F955D56B7A8.jpeg

Could these possibly be man made? In this picture they look suspiciously like holes drilled in the rock and filled with loose sediment. Maybe they were drilled in an attempt to split the rock? 

I could be way off base... Just getting another train of thought rolling. ;) 

• I found this Informative 5

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, FossilNerd said:

Could these possibly be man made? In this picture they look suspiciously like holes drilled in the rock and filled with loose sediment. Maybe they were drilled in an attempt to split the rock? 

I could be way off base... Just getting another train of thought rolling. ;) 

I agree these appear more like drilled holes (possibly as part of a previous excavation).

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

the pattern looks slightly similar to how something might walk...could they be tracks perhaps?...its a long shot.
when a four legged creature walks it leaves a pattern that looks about as laid out as this each mark is not directly in line with the other and it shows a pattern

the part where you see them side by side could be where it stood for a moment but then this does not explain the broken off split portion does it?

Tracks of a juvenile T Rex on a pogo stick. :default_rofl: That's my line and I'm sticking to it!

I've been looking at it for 3 days now and the only thing I've noticed is that the holes seem to be in pairs. Other than that, nada!

Possibly just a well-executed prank?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/30/2019 at 3:18 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

Tracks of a juvenile T Rex on a pogo stick. :default_rofl: That's my line and I'm sticking to it!

I've been looking at it for 3 days now and the only thing I've noticed is that the holes seem to be in pairs. Other than that, nada!

Possibly just a well-executed prank?

No prank haha...it’s definitely odd

So Travis County is pretty much entirely Cretaceous. But there are many formations spanning a good chunk of the lower to upper Cretaceous. Can you narrow down the location/formation for us?  

And IMHO those weird holes look man made...

17 hours ago, austinswamp said:

Sure the location is Walnut Creek in austin Texas. Closest to Springdale rd

That would be one if the formations in the Austin Chalk Group, Upper Cretaceous. 

But I still think we’re looking at man-made holes. The other item does look like one of the typical pyrite nodules.