Primitive mammal?

Crazyhen

This clutch is said to be found in Beipiu of Liaoning, China.  It is said to be the primitive mammal of  Triconodontidae.  You can see the presence of individuals of different sizes.  Any idea which species is that?

IMG_3634.JPG

Closeup of the dentition* is of paramount importance/might help,along with a view of possible petrosals.

*preferrably an occlusal view

11 minutes ago, Carl said:

They look at lot like lizards to me.

I agree, but closer up photos would help us be able to ID them better.  

The skulls look a lot too narrow for Triconodontidae. Looks a lot like Keichousarus to me.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Haha. Compososaurus. Look like turtle skulls to me. Some of the early mammals had weird shaped skulls, and I would not completely rule out the possibility that this is something very rare, but I just see a lot of fake matrix on this specimen.

I'm going to agree with some of the others and say lizard material, I'd even guess Iguanidae.  I'm always a fan of comparison specimen so here is a skull of Aciprion from the Oligocene of Wyoming.  We'd have to see the teeth on these to know for sure but shape is pretty close.

IMG_1239.jpg

I like to think I am well versed in White River fossils, but I have never heard of Aciprion.  Learn something new every day around here.

37 minutes ago, jpc said:

I like to think I am well versed in White River fossils, but I have never heard of Aciprion.  Learn something new every day around here.

I'm not sure if the name still holds, my literature references may be dated.  Took it from Fossil Lizards of North America - Gilmore 1928.  Described initially by Cope.

The skull on the right side of the block really reminded me of it though.  The teeth would be tricuspid if its an iguana.

12 hours ago, ParkerPaleo said:

I'm not sure if the name still holds, my literature references may be dated.  Took it from Fossil Lizards of North America - Gilmore 1928.  Described initially by Cope.

The skull on the right side of the block really reminded me of it though.  The teeth would be tricuspid if its an iguana.

I  googled it and also found it in Gilmore  1928.  But it is still listed on the paleobiology database and digimorph and the smithsonian's online database, so I guess it is still valid.  

The specimen has not been prepared well and so can’t really see the dentition but here are some photos of higher resolution.

32E87CE9-4FCE-4AC5-A5EC-D759DC867D30.jpeg