Human, Deer or what kinda bone is this?

VirginiaChick

This appears to be the epiphysis of a tibia.  Please clean the dirt off the bone, and provide measurements or something in an image to provide scale.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Topics merged in the right forum. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

On 10/28/2019 at 11:48 PM, VirginiaChick said:

I found this bone in my yard.

Literally in the ground or on the surface ?

It almost looks as if it were mineralized. It may not look the same dry though. 

Thank you for your reply and question. It was slightly underground, only covered by an inch or two of dirt, covering back up a hold created in the nearby ground from an uprooted tree during last year's hurricane, whereas that hole was turned into a firepit where the roots were being burned up. 

Important to note, decades ago, the area where this was found was farm land, run by a plantation.

I also have a Great Pyrenees, who brings carcasses from deer where nearby hunters clear deer of the parts they will be saving and leave the rest of the deer in a massive pile.

This bone fragment just looks and feels different than all the other deer bones I've handled in the past. And parts of deers skulls and jaws and even random deer leg bones I know my dog has left to the way side that have been partially buried by weather and dirt, remain white, years later.

Lastly, attached here is a photo of another rock fossil I found in the same location.

KIMG5379.JPG

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2019 at 7:53 AM, VirginiaChick said:

Thank you for your reply and question. It was slightly underground, only covered by an inch or two of dirt, covering back up a hold created in the nearby ground from an uprooted tree during last year's hurricane, whereas that hole was turned into a firepit where the roots were being burned up. 

Important to note, decades ago, the area where this was found was farm land, run by a plantation.

I also have a Great Pyrenees, who brings carcasses from deer where nearby hunters clear deer of the parts they will be saving and leave the rest of the deer in a massive pile.

This bone fragment just looks and feels different than all the other deer bones I've handled in the past. And parts of deers skulls and jaws and even random deer leg bones I know my dog has left to the way side that have been partially buried by weather and dirt, remain white, years later.

Lastly, attached here is a photo of another rock fossil I found in the same location.

KIMG5379.JPG

Well, it looks like a seashell imbedded in a rock, but I am wondering if the "rock" is actually an echinoid. Please provide a photo of the other side, and measurements. Any ways, I realize that I need help to ID.  Let me see if I can get @MikeR to take a look at this.  He knows LOTS about seashells. 

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"