Nuna

This came from San Saba County, Texas; found in fluviatile terrace deposits (Qt).  I would love to know more about this fossil.  Thank you for your input.   

CollageMaker_20191029_092824865.thumb.jpg.77168022ad743330eaa701b63f95349e.jpg

I don't think there's much more to say! Microcyclus looks spot on and I can't find any genera that look closer (though I don't have any recent literature on this sort). Lovely find.

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin

Microcyclus seems accurate to me.  I don't know about reported Texas occurances, but the genus has been reported from New Mexico so Texas seems likely.

Don

4 hours ago, TqB said:

I don't think there's much more to say! Microcyclus looks spot on and I can't find any genera that look closer (though I don't have any recent literature on this sort). Lovely find.

Thank you! I'll take any literature on them if you have recommendations or suggested links.  Did these become extinct before the end of Paleozoic Era? 

2 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

Microcyclus seems accurate to me.  I don't know about reported Texas occurances, but the genus has been reported from New Mexico so Texas seems likely.

Don

Thank you for your help!  I read in a blog that these are common in Eastern Canada down to NY, and the ones down here were glacially distributed.  If you could point me towards more resources about this coral that would be fantastic.  Do you know when these became extinct?  Thanks again, appreciate the assistance.

7 minutes ago, Nuna said:

Thank you! I'll take any literature on them if you have recommendations or suggested links.  Did these become extinct before the end of Paleozoic Era? 

This genus is just Devonian - Middle Devonian, according to the Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology (part F, supplement 1) which is the only reference I have that names it. 

The last rugose corals became extinct by the end of the Permian.

Tarquin

On 10/30/2019 at 9:18 AM, TqB said:

This genus is just Devonian - Middle Devonian, according to the Treatise on Invertebrate Paleontology (part F, supplement 1) which is the only reference I have that names it. 

The last rugose corals became extinct by the end of the Permian.

Wow, how interesting.  My thanks and appreciation to you!  

@Nuna

I found a very close match in U of Texas publication 4401 to a Pennsylvanian coral from San Saba County in Texas: Cumminsia aplata.

184C8356-C09E-42EC-85E0-5E7303435F8D.jpeg

A5F2A2D0-D960-4CBA-B8DE-CC2F11035F17.jpeg

1FC1CE3B-1D42-40FA-BB92-3D90077536D4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

8 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

@Nuna

I found a very close match in U of Texas publication 4401 to a Pennsylvanian coral from San Saba County in Texas: Cumminsia aplata.

That's convincing, good job!

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

Cumminsia is a much better match in my opinion. Especially since most of the rock in your area is Pennsylvanian in age. Still a very nice find no matter the era it is from.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

13 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

@Nuna

184C8356-C09E-42EC-85E0-5E7303435F8D.jpeg

A5F2A2D0-D960-4CBA-B8DE-CC2F11035F17.jpeg

1FC1CE3B-1D42-40FA-BB92-3D90077536D4.jpeg

You are my HERO! Thank you so much, I got goosebumps when I saw this post.  I am so thrilled to have this identified.   Thanks again:raindance::yay-smiley-1:

some of you may like

17Mb,synonymy lists present(and useful)

Systematics, biostratigraphy and significance of discoid and partly discoid corals from the Devonianof northwestern Canada, Ural Mountains Russia
and southeastern Australia
Alan E.H. Pedder

DOI 10.3140/bull.geosci.1734

ditto

Deep in shadows, deep in time: the oldest mesophotic coral ecosystems from the Devonian of the Holy Cross Mountains
(Poland)
Mikołaj K. Zapalski , Tomasz Wrzołek, Stanisław Skompski, Błazej Berkowski

Coral Reefs (2017) 36:847–860
DOI 10.1007/s00338-017-1575-8

about 4 MB

good piece on the ecology of some Paleozoic corals

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, doushantuo said:

some of you may like

17Mb,synonymy lists present(and useful)

Systematics, biostratigraphy and significance of discoid and partly discoid corals from the Devonianof northwestern Canada, Ural Mountains Russia
and southeastern Australia
Alan E.H. Pedder

DOI 10.3140/bull.geosci.1734

ditto

Deep in shadows, deep in time: the oldest mesophotic coral ecosystems from the Devonian of the Holy Cross Mountains
(Poland)
Mikołaj K. Zapalski , Tomasz Wrzołek, Stanisław Skompski, Błazej Berkowski

Coral Reefs (2017) 36:847–860
DOI 10.1007/s00338-017-1575-8

about 4 MB

good piece on the ecology of some Paleozoic corals

Excellent, I appreciate the literature suggestions indeed. Thanks!