A varied collection

Metopolychas

A lot of my collection is bought, as in 'oooh, pretty' many years ago with the result of having no clue as to species or where they were found. But I figured I'd show you all what I got anyway. 

This one I found and am hoping will look decent after prepping. 

IMG_20191030_103220.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Everyone knows what this is. BUT! It's a replica, I just wanted it as a 'placeholder' for if and when I get a real meg tooth :D

IMG_20191030_102434.jpg

But now for the more interesting stuff! (at least to me). 

My second trilo found not 20 minutes from home in cambrosilurian limestone. 

IMG_20191030_104108.jpg

Biggest one so far in an area known for lots of trilobites. The place is used for school trips and education, so it takes a little while to find since it's regularly picked over. I only started finding nicer stuff when I went where the kids likely aren't allowed to climb. 

IMG_20191030_104132.jpg

From near my home again. The area is known for corals (low right), but I'm not sure what the spiraly pattern is. Ammonite? A different coral? 

IMG_20191030_104006.jpg

Thanks! I definitely likes those best too, even if they don't look as good for obvious reasons. Hopefully one day, though! 

+1 for loving your local finds. Nothing like finding something in your home region. BTW....POLAR BEAR TRACKS?????!!!!!! 

8 hours ago, Metopolychas said:

Bought at a fare with no data. 

IMG_20191030_102943.jpg

This is Orthoceras is a genus of extinct nautiloid cephalopod restricted to Middle Ordovician-aged marine limestones of the Baltic States and Sweden. Dating 359-416 millions years ago. They cut these fossils out of the rock and polish them for display pieces. Very cool specimen.

8 hours ago, Metopolychas said:

From near my home again. The area is known for corals (low right), but I'm not sure what the spiraly pattern is. Ammonite? A different coral? 

IMG_20191030_104006.jpg

Yes the upper right does resemble an ammonite imprinted in the rock. What types of coral do you find in Norway?

3 hours ago, sharkdoctor said:

+1 for loving your local finds. Nothing like finding something in your home region. BTW....POLAR BEAR TRACKS?????!!!!!! 

Exactly! I accidentally spotted some ribbing in a rock, and turns out it was a trilobite, and that's all it took for me to get a new hobby! 

And yes, polar bear. There had been one in the area a couple of days before we arrived, so the tracks were reasonably old, but the day after we left the bear was back and unfortunately had to be shot. It was coming into town and had already been relocated once. 

14 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

This is Orthoceras is a genus of extinct nautiloid cephalopod restricted to Middle Ordovician-aged marine limestones of the Baltic States and Sweden. Dating 359-416 millions years ago. They cut these fossils out of the rock and polish them for display pieces. Very cool specimen.

Thank you! That's great, it's much more fun knowing at least a rough location and age! 

2 minutes ago, Bronzviking said:

Yes the upper right does resemble an ammonite imprinted in the rock. What types of coral do you find in Norway?

I have honestly no idea, I need to do more research into that. I just know one layer is known for it, I think it's the same that has a lot of shells that I find in walking distance from home.

3 minutes ago, Metopolychas said:

Thank you! That's great, it's much more fun knowing at least a rough location and age! 

Glad I could help, I have one in my collection. Very nice collection, I especially like your plant fossil and teeth. Not many plant fossils in Florida but many many fossils! :) Happy hunting!