A theropod tooth from Bissekty Formation

lexandc

Hi guys, 

I have recently acquired this tooth. It was sold as a Tyrannosauridae indet tooth from Bissekty Formation. I thought it could be Timurlengia, but i was not sure. From what I read, not much Timurlengia material has been found.. 

The tooth is about 2 inch long, and it is a little bit worn out. Its serrations are quite small. The serration density is about 12 denticles per 5mm. 

I am hoping someone can confirm the species for me? 

IMG_20191031_223631.jpg

IMG_20191031_221755.jpg

IMG_20191031_223401.jpg

28 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Same comments

Oh, I didnt even realized there was another tooth from the same seller being posted . I guess it really is Timurlengia euotica then. 

Thank you @Troodon

32 minutes ago, lexandc said:

Hi guys, 

I have recently acquired this tooth. It was sold as a Tyrannosauridae indet tooth from Bissekty Formation. I thought it could be Timurlengia, but i was not sure. From what I read, not much Timurlengia material has been found.. 

The tooth is about 2 inch long, and it is a little bit worn out. Its serrations are quite small. The serration density is about 12 denticles per 5mm. 

I am hoping someone can confirm the species for me?

Nice big tooth, must be a nice add for your collection :) 

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, Runner64 said:

Nice big tooth, must be a nice add for your collection :) 

Yes it is. My first Tyrannosaur (sort of) tooth. 

And to think my mom thought i have been conned and bought a wild boar tusk. Now i can tell her proudly that this is a Tyrannosaur tooth. ( though I might omit the part where it looked nothing like the one in Jurassic Park:chuckle:

2 minutes ago, lexandc said:

Yes it is. My first Tyrannosaur (sort of) tooth. 

And to think my mom thought i have been conned and bought a wild boar tusk. Now i can tell her proudly that this is a Tyrannosaur tooth. ( though I might omit the part where it looked nothing like the one in Jurassic Park:chuckle:

Well now you can happily tell your mom she is wrong :heartylaugh:.  Although Timurlengia eutoica does not look like Tyrannosaurus rex, it is a predecessor that led to the evolution of the great Tyrannosauridae family, equally as cool in my opinion.

I also bought a tooth from that same seller classifying them as Tyrannosauridae indet. I wasn't familiar with Bissekty fossils either, but figured it was a Timurlengia tooth that was labeled before it was properly discovered so I bought it out of curiosity.

5dbb4a392f7e9_TimurLG2.jpg.8d0164706c3576c4a53d60497aa717d3.jpg